Someone using my IP address

zappa47

I recieved a phone call from my internet provider saying that I downloaded a movie "The Brave One" from off the internet. I never did that, but nontheless they are terminating my internet service because of it. All they have as proof is my IP address. What can I do to stop them from doing this to me (terminating my internet)? Also how can I protect myself from anyone gaining control of my IP address or computer? HELP!!!!!

Moderator edit: removed the changed font crap so I could actually read this post.

[Fixed the tag so the ghastly font you specified is actually used - hope that's what you wanted].

As for your problem, I don't think we have enough detail to offer much in the way of forensic help. Are you using a wireless router? That would seem to be one way your connection might be implicated when "you" weren't connected.

[Fixed the tag so the ghastly font you specified is actually used - hope that's what you wanted].

As for your problem, I don't think we have enough detail to offer much in the way of forensic help. Are you using a wireless router? That would seem to be one way your connection might be implicated when "you" weren't connected.

I was using a wireless router and the same thing happened with someone downloading movies on it. I got rid of the router and had no problems for almost a year. Then about a week ago I noticed problems with my computer (missing files, programs not working properly), then it wouldn't boot up at all. I had to replace it with an old computer from my son just so I had phone service (i use vonage). I have a password on my computer so the kids can't get on it without supervision. My thing is how can "PennTeleData" just cancel my service without physical proof (i told that they were free to look at my computers hard drive) and I basically have no other option as far as internet providers in my area. I live in Tamaqua, Pa. Do you know of any other options for internet service providers and can I do anything to prevent them from shutting me down? I appreciate yor response and any suggestions.

Jack

I was using a wireless router and the same thing happened with someone downloading movies on it. I got rid of the router and had no problems for almost a year. Then about a week ago I noticed problems with my computer (missing files, programs not working properly), then it wouldn't boot up at all. I had to replace it with an old computer from my son just so I had phone service (i use vonage).

<snip>

Hello, Jack,

...Sorry to hear of your problem.

...Many Internet providers change your IP address under certain conditions. I would not be surprised to find out that's what happened in your case -- when you switched computers, you may have been given the IP address that used to belong to someone else. You might try telling your ISP this.

...If I were you, though, I would not be satisfied with a negative answer from a first-level call staff person. If they denied me, I would ask to speak to a supervisor or a second-level technical support person.

...Good luck!

...With this post, I am moving this Forum thread from "How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials | SpamCop Forum" (that's intended for instructions on tips & tricks for using the SpamCop Forum, not for asking spam-related questions such as this) to what I believe to be a more appropriate forum, "SpamCop Lounge."

The storyline that you are describing is along the lines of folks like the RIAA monitoring the peer-to-peer downloading .. they sent a letter to your ISP complaining about the downloading activity seen on such and such a date, tracking back to a specific IP Address. Typically, based on various 'reports' and stories existing eelsewhere on the net, this letter would have also been asking for your personal data such that they could put a name on their next batch of lawsuits. Your ISP apparently reacted by terminating your account.

If you can't work it out over/with their 'freindly support desk/folks' ... then your only recourse is to come up with the evidence that the IP address in question wasn't your's" on the date in question ... that will probably need some kind of legal dance as you'd need to subpoena records from a number of folks .... probably to include whoever sent their complaint to your ISP ....

There's no one here that can talk to how the IP Addresses are handled / handed out by your ISP. Some folks end up using the same DHCP IP Address for months at a time, some others change quite often ... it is pretty sure that you weren't paying for a static IP Address (never changes)

Controlling access to your system / network is another whole issue .. most addressed here within other Forum sections. Your exposed and running-wide-open wireless router is certainly not a new story. Coincidentally, when you removed that router, you also removed some protecction for your computer, noting that even 'cheap' routers provide some limited firewall protection.

Sounds like you might have a trojan virus installed on your system. You may want to run an online virus scan by a 3rd party company separate from the anti-virus system you are already using (assuming you are using one - if not, acquire one ASAP).

Read through CERT's Guide for Basic Home Computer Security, Home Network Security, and browse through OnGuardOnline for more help. Steve Gibson's SecurityNow! podcast has some helpful information as well (the early episodes, such as #10 might be applicable to your situation). Advise your ISP that you absolutely were not downloading the movie or involved in any type of piracy and explain to them your situation. Hopefully they will understand that the act was perpetrated by another person who has taken advantage of your computer's lack of security to use it as a proxy to connect to a P2P network.

Hope that helps & good luck.

Archived