Is Opt-out info required in legitimate email?

carringtons

Seems to me I read a while back that businesses are supposed to have opt-out options at the bottom of their email, in case the recipient doesn't want to receive any more email from them. Is that correct?

If so, wouldn't it be correct that if I want to opt-out of more email from some company and they didn't provide me a way to opt-out, then further email from them would be spam? Does that seem reasonable logic?

Mike

There is a link to the CAN-spam piece of work in the SpamCop FAQ 'here' ..... lots of loopholes and exceptions. After sifting through all that, you might be able to see that your question, as asked in your post, cannot be answered by anyone here due to the lack of data.

The answer to the question posed in your Subject line is "No"

Seems to me I read a while back that businesses are supposed to have opt-out options at the bottom of their email, in case the recipient doesn't want to receive any more email from them. Is that correct?

If so, wouldn't it be correct that if I want to opt-out of more email from some company and they didn't provide me a way to opt-out, then further email from them would be spam? Does that seem reasonable logic?

Within the EU it is a legal obligation for messages sent to any form of commercial bulk distribution list to have within it a means of opting out from future mailings which costs the recipient nothing other than the charges involved in transmitting the request. But failure to include such an opt-out process does not make an item spam.

I've received many legitimate bulk messages (ie those I have consented to receive) which fail to comply with the law. So they break the regulations but are not spam.

Andrew

I just changed my email address and had a devil of time with some 'subscriptions' that I wanted to change. IME, if you want to cancel the subscription, then you may have to go to the website to do so.

If they don't give you /any/ option to unsubscribe, then IMHO, it would be a good idea to write, first, an email explaining the law and that you want to unsubscribe. If that doesn't work, then write a snail mail letter, explaining the law and the consequences of angering a subscriber. Then some people would say you could report it as spam. I don't agree, but I do agree with badgering them with emails, reports to their ISP, snail mail letters, phone calls until they take you off their list.

Miss Betsy

Archived