Spamtrapping and unsubscribing

shentino

How about this:

using a spamtrap to unsubscribe from a mailing list?

Targets spammers who outright DEFY unsubscribe requests, since any unsubscription is an EXPLICIT request to NOT receive email.

1. Is this allowed under spamcop reporting rules?

2. Would it work?

example:

posting ahvouiahsdvhui[at]gmail.com to an unsubscribe list, and setting up ahvouiahsdvhui[at]gmail.com to forward all incoming mail to the <whatevertheheckyouforwardyourspamto>[at]spamcop.net

Any mail sent to ahvouiahsdvhui[at]gmail.com had to have come from a spammer, becuase you just asked NOT to receive any spam.

posting ahvouiahsdvhui[at]gmail.com to an unsubscribe list, and setting up ahvouiahsdvhui[at]gmail.com to forward all incoming mail to the <whatevertheheckyouforwardyourspamto>[at]spamcop.net

Any mail sent to ahvouiahsdvhui[at]gmail.com had to have come from a spammer, becuase you just asked NOT to receive any spam.

Why would you think that any spammer would pay attention to anything remotely resembling an 'unsubscribe' list? Who would be silly enough to actually place their w-mail on such an (assumedly) publically available list?

As far as "automatically sending everything to SpamCop" and assumedly you'd then do up some bit of scripting to also automate the rest of the process, that's been addressed over and over within this Forum structure. Bottom line: way to many times someone's attempt at 'automating' the process usually makes a reurn visit asking why his/her account was 'administratively handled' .....

And of course, 'my' answer wouldn't be complete without pointing to the SpamCop FAQ .. look for the Subject/Title that reads exactly like: Can I automatically forward spam from my spamtraps? Looks pretty similar to me ...

• 2 months later...

Archived