Jump to content

[Resolved] 0x8004210A POP server timeout


Recommended Posts

Inexplicably over the last few days I've had a few occasions where my Outlook won't receive mail and gives this error message. Usually restarting the computer fixes it, but not on this occasion. Have disabled firewall and rebooted router to no avail. There is mail waiting, I can see it in webmail, and other "receives" from other POP mail accounts are working OK, I only get this problem fetching from Spamcop. I've got the server timeout set to 5 minutes. Are there any network problems at the moment or is there something else I should try?

Cheers

Martin

EDIT: I've now had to delete all my POP3 mail fetching from within the Spamcop Options area, as it's fetching the mail from my POP3 servers on various ISPs but I just can't get it to come down into Outlook. I've had to forward copies of all waiting mail back to another address using Spamcop webmail. Any ideas on how to get mail flowing again most welcome.

Edited by the_prof
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like you've done all the Googling, hopefully a mail user can comment on the server status, configuration settings, etc. You searched these pages too, I guess? Like http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8800 (Outlook 2007)

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5728 (Anti virus/NIS, KB article mentioned in the above as well).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like you've done all the Googling, hopefully a mail user can comment on the server status, configuration settings, etc. You searched these pages too, I guess? Like http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8800 (Outlook 2007)

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5728 (Anti virus/NIS, KB article mentioned in the above as well).

Having deleted all the POP3 accounts from Spamcop, I put one of them back in again, and mail started flowing again, so I added all the rest and all now seems well. The full text of the error message is something along the lines of "timed out waiting for a response from the [spamcop] server". I'm only guessing but possibly when there is some sort of network outage at the Spamcop end, it's not sending out the correct "everything's OK again" message afterwards. That's what it looks like anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having deleted all the POP3 accounts from Spamcop, I put one of them back in again, and mail started flowing again, so I added all the rest and all now seems well. The full text of the error message is something along the lines of "timed out waiting for a response from the [spamcop] server". I'm only guessing but possibly when there is some sort of network outage at the Spamcop end, it's not sending out the correct "everything's OK again" message afterwards. That's what it looks like anyway.

I'm confused. Are you haveing problem having SpamCop mail POP your other accounts or are you having problems using POP to get the messages from your SpamCop account. These are 2 unrelated processes.

I have POPped my SpamCop account from home (Outlook Express) several times in the last few days (at least 2 twice a day) with no problems.

I just looked into the Options, SpamCop Tools, Configure external POP servers and do not see any errors currently listed and I know my Yahoo account has not been backing up with mail (I use My Yahoo as my homepage and the icon is there all day long). Deleting and reentering the information for this process has been known to fix many of the issues seen. It seems the account information gets corrupted and can no longer make the connection, and is usually account specific (other users will not be affected).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm confused. Are you haveing problem having SpamCop mail POP your other accounts or are you having problems using POP to get the messages from your SpamCop account. These are 2 unrelated processes.

I have POPped my SpamCop account from home (Outlook Express) several times in the last few days (at least 2 twice a day) with no problems.

I just looked into the Options, SpamCop Tools, Configure external POP servers and do not see any errors currently listed and I know my Yahoo account has not been backing up with mail (I use My Yahoo as my homepage and the icon is there all day long). Deleting and reentering the information for this process has been known to fix many of the issues seen. It seems the account information gets corrupted and can no longer make the connection, and is usually account specific (other users will not be affected).

Spamcop was popping the other accounts OK but wouldn't let me download them to Outlook. There were no errors listed in the Configure Servers panel for me either, but unless it was a coincidence, deleteing and re-entering them all has fixed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spamcop was popping the other accounts OK but wouldn't let me download them to Outlook. There were no errors listed in the Configure Servers panel for me either, but unless it was a coincidence, deleteing and re-entering them all has fixed it.

Well, they are 2 different processes...but I will mark this resolved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...