[Resolved] SpamCop encountered errors : spammer sent mail to my submit.p* address?

dan27

Hi,

I receive 1 to 2 "SpamCop encountered errors" a day, from some time, for spam I never received nor reported.

The notification start with:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

and the following email is not one of those I reported.

Is it possible that some spammer get my submit.p* address and sent directely spam to it?

What can I do in this case, changing the submit.p* address?

Many thanks

Sorry for the non-responsive reply...but how is this a "Software Issue"? Mods...I'm thinking this is a Reporting issue....no?

DT

...Yes, I agree. Post moved.

...dan27: changing your SpamCop submit address would seem a good idea. To do that, I believe, you will need to contact the SpamCop Deputies at e-mail address deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

...It might also help those who wish to research your problem further for you to provide a Tracking URL for one of these, as suggested in pinned post "[How-to] Post a Question (and prevent stupid/rude answers)" section labeled "The Details."

...dan27: changing your SpamCop submit address would seem a good idea. To do that, I believe, you will need to contact the SpamCop Deputies at e-mail address deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

thanks for the suggestion

...It might also help those who wish to research your problem further for you to provide a Tracking URL for one of these, as suggested in pinned post "[How-to] Post a Question (and prevent stupid/rude answers)" section labeled "The Details."

How to reconstruct a tracking url when all I have is the mail error?

may I find the ID number somewhere in the header?

may I find the ID number somewhere in the header?

...Where are you seeing the error? It looks like something I'd expect to find it the SpamCop spam parse results, which I normally see on the web page I go to when I navigate to the Tracking URL (in other words, it's the browser's Address line).

may I find the ID number somewhere in the header?...Where are you seeing the error? It looks like something I'd expect to find it the SpamCop spam parse results, which I normally see on the web page I go to when I navigate to the Tracking URL (in other words, it's the browser's Address line).

To have a tracking URL I have to report myself the spam.

What I have is an email (or two) ,

with subject "[spamCop] Errors encountered" ,

starting with the message for example:

Message forwarded in html wrapper.

and followed by un header+email in plain text of a spam I never received nor reported to spamcop.

To have a tracking URL I have to report myself the spam.
...Actually, that's just one way to get a tracking URL. Another is to have one forwarded to you or listed somewhere accessible to you.
What I have is an email (or two) ,

with subject "[spamCop] Errors encountered" ,

starting with the message for example:

Message forwarded in html wrapper.

and followed by un header+email in plain text of a spam I never received nor reported to spamcop.

...Odd, I can't remember having seen anything remotely like that in an e-mail from SpamCop. Who is this e-mail "from"? Are there any URLs in the body of the e-mail that start with "http://www.spamcop.net/"?

...Actually, that's just one way to get a tracking URL. Another is to have one forwarded to you or listed somewhere accessible to you....Odd, I can't remember having seen anything remotely like that in an e-mail from SpamCop. Who is this e-mail "from"? Are there any URLs in the body of the e-mail that start with "http://www.spamcop.net/"?

the headers start with

Return-Path: <spamid.0[at]bounces.spamcop.net>

last "received" is:

Received: from sc-app6.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.25]) by sc-smtp-vip.soma.ironport.com with SMTP; 22 Feb 2008 05:25:39 -0800

From: SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net>

For what I can understand in headers, it comes from spamcop.

In the header of the 'Error reported' email, I can found not my real email, but my submit email address

provide a Tracking URL
The email he is talking about is the error message SpamCop sends back when you send in an email submission that doesn't actually have any spam in it. There is no spam to report and it is not possible to get a Tracking URL.

Spammers are sending spam directly to his 'submit' address, which has gotten into the wild somehow. Since there aren't any headers in or attached to the spam message, SpamCop balks and sends the error message to him, thinking that he is the one who sent the email with no spam message in it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

the headers start with

Return-Path: <spamid.0[at]bounces.spamcop.net>

last "received" is:

Received: from sc-app6.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.25]) by sc-smtp-vip.soma.ironport.com with SMTP; 22 Feb 2008 05:25:39 -0800

From: SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net>

For what I can understand in headers, it comes from spamcop.

...Although the "From" address can be forged, the other headers are consistent with what I get when SpamCop returns a spam parse to me, so I agree with your conclusion.
In the header of the 'Error reported' email, I can found not my real email, but my submit email address
...Are there any URLs in the body of the message?

The email he is talking about is the error message SpamCop sends back when you send in an email submission that doesn't actually have any spam in it. There is no spam to report and it is not possible to get a Tracking URL.

Spammers are sending spam directly to his 'submit' address, which has gotten into the wild somehow. Since there aren't any headers in or attached to the spam message, SpamCop balks and sends the error message to him, thinking that he is the one who sent the email with no spam message in it.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

...Okay, thanks for confirming his guess, Don. Is my suggestion to contact the Deputies to get his submit address changed the right one?

Is my suggestion to contact the Deputies to get his submit address changed the right one?
Yes. Although, the Deputies send that sort of thing to me, so it probably would be faster to have users contact me.

I have already changed his 'submit' address.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin - service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Yes. Although, the Deputies send that sort of thing to me, so it probably would be faster to have users contact me.

I have already changed his 'submit' address.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin - service[at]admin.spamcop.net

...Great, thanks! Marking this thread as "Resolved."

Archived