Has my e-mail address been hijacked?

Local Hero

I have a website and all of the referances to my email have been changed to java scri_pt. I also have a php contact form with a simple image code that has to be entered in.

Every once-in-awhile I get an e-mail of a returned letter from me that is clearly spam. I did not send it, but it looks like I did. I also got one today that said "Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL from you". Everything in the properties appeared like it was a returned letter that I sent.

I've heard of spammers being able to use my PHP forms to send e-mails from my address, but I thought the image code stopped that.

Any ideas? Do spammers send fake return e-mails regurarly?

I have a website and all of the referances to my email have been changed to java scri_pt.
...Unless you're hiding your java scri_pt by placing it in a separate file and referencing it with <scri_pt ... src=...>, you haven't hidden your e-mail address well enough to avoid scraping.
I also have a php contact form with a simple image code that has to be entered in.

<snip>I've heard of spammers being able to use my PHP forms to send e-mails from my address, but I thought the image code stopped that.

...See SpamCop Forum thread "Preventing spam or.."
Any ideas? Do spammers send fake return e-mails regurarly?
...Yes. See SpamCop FAQ (link near upper left of each SpamCop Forum page) article labeled "Why am I getting all these bounces? Updated!"

I've heard of spammers being able to use my PHP forms to send e-mails from my address, but I thought the image code stopped that.

If your PHP scri_pt can be used by spammers to generate outgoing e-mail, you need to replace that PHP scri_pt with one that isn't so abusable.

Your 'image code' is assumed to be a CAPTCHA type scri_pt/tool. Simple CAPTCHA has been cracked long ago, the much more complicated graphic stuff these days are bad enough to screw with actual 'good' users (never mind the visually handicapped folks), spammers/hackers can crack them just as they did with the earlier versions .. one of the simplest manuevers .... grab the image, post it somewhere else, offering some super-kewl-free crap to the person(idiot) that can 'read the graphic' and provide the 'correct' answer ....

Archived