spam with no body text

ettienne

I am receiving an increasing number of empty spam, no body text.

Spamcop does not accept this and reports "No body text provided, check format of submission. spam must have body text."

OK, spam is spam, body or no body text. Why not accept it?

You may want to read this Recent topic discussing spam with no bodies

My answer to your question is that the parser (software) expects a blank line and then text and so does not recognize anything that doesn't look like that. The reason no one treats it as a bug is because of the various reasons that a report of a spam with no body could be a mistake. In addition, it apparently does not affect quick reporting.

Miss Betsy

• 4 years later...

I am receiving an increasing number of empty spam, no body text.

Spamcop does not accept this and reports "No body text provided, check format of submission. spam must have body text."

OK, spam is spam, body or no body text. Why not accept it?

I'm intentionally replying to a 4 year old mail.

My box is getting increasing numbers of spam without body.

Example: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5412285355z3...14ce0c35adbf2cz

Posted with Thunderbird Habul-plugin. No manual copy/pasting errors.

Sure, the spammers know SpamCop analysing/parsing policy. They manage to put all needed information in a pretty long subject-field and no body. The IP-address won't be blocked. Simple.

Should I forge the spam to contain something in the body just to let it pass? I'd rather have SpamCop to add a button "Yes, I did report the entire mail. It does not have a body. I confirm this!".

Regards,

Jari Turkia

• 2 weeks later...

You can add a blank line then text indicating that the spam had no body. Approved by SpamCop staff, see this thread. Hope this helps. (Extra blank space removed on edit.)

:)

Sir, my Thunderbird's Habul-plugin does not have that option.

Well, perhaps I'll add the space-thingie into Habul and post the patch to the author.

Regards,

Jari Turkia

:)

Sir, my Thunderbird's Habul-plugin does not have that option.

Well, perhaps I'll add the space-thingie into Habul and post the patch to the author.

Regards,

Jari Turkia

Perhaps this other thread is relevant (toward the end of it) if you are thinking of doing that:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11970

I'm thinking that your modification might be made more easily if you know that severe truncation of (any) message bodies is allowable (no need then to test for presence of a message body - or "Subject:" line length - and decision tree). But of course some might hold that doing so eliminates valuable data - that is not a factor for those using "Quick Reporting" and accordingly not interested in the reporting of any "spamvertized" links as a secondary aspect of reporting.

Archived