Beaware of PayPal e-mails

dra007

Prosecutors estimate that Nicola-Roman was responsible for more than $400,000 in thefts. He faces a prison term of 46 to 57 months and possible fines and restitution payments when he is sentenced Oct. 10.

Attention Scum Bags of Romania. Immigrate to the US, rob American citizens, and you will get just a slap on the wrist. 4-5 years in a US prison still means they are making $100K per year. Not a dime of that money will be seen again.

US prisons are a cake walk for eastern europeans. 4-5 years in a prison in Romania would have a much greater chance of being fatal (prisons in Romania have a 700% over capacity rate, and AIDS is rampant).

If a US citizen went around and knocked over 400 7-11 (which is about what it would take to earn 400K) the US citizen would face multiple life sentences.

At the the Brits are waking up to the truth

Official figures suggest that Romanians are responsible for the vast majority of offences such as this, and it is thought that Bunu is part of a gang. As the Government threw British borders open to all Romanians last year, the number of similar crimes is only likely to grow.

In the US we can never say stuff like that, even if it is true that certain ethnic groups seem to commit a vast majority of certain crimes.

...In the US we can never say stuff like that, even if it is true that certain ethnic groups seem to commit a vast majority of certain crimes.
I don't know (racial hatred? bloody Google on holiday still) but suspect it can't be said in Britain either - but tabloid editors are rather good at picking the "right" time to air a piece of populist sentiment and daring the consequences. Ultimately, the only thing they have to lose is the decline in their circulations.

As one that is Romanian by birth I can vouch that many of us are excelling in what we do/professionally both here in North America and in UK without having to resort to crime. As with any ethnicity there is a group of people that wants to get involved in get rich quick schemes especially when there is no pre-existing tradition of emigration. Tell me of an ethnic group that did not have a Mafia or its equivalent at some point in their history.

...Tell me of an ethnic group that did not have a Mafia or its equivalent at some point in their history.
Absolutely correct Dr A - there is none, underworld ethnicity is a product of the influx and assimilation cycles of successive waves of immigration - and the history of the gangs of New York city is held by some to be a perfect illustration of the process. Any large city actually, just that NYC is comparatively well documented (also mythologized, but that's no detraction from the underlying history).

Mind you - denying the phenomenon on the grounds of 'political correctness' also denies the more effective strategies for amelioration of the root causes. 'Political correctness' is the moron's substitute for caring, IMO.

This month I received several "phishing" emails from sources claiming to be PayPal. One was very official looking and even contained a legitimate link to PayPal...but hovering my cursor over the other internal links, they were so obviously not PayPal that it was ridiculous. I always forward these emails directly to PayPal (spoof[at]paypal.com). They take this issue seriously and deal with it very well...and VERY quickly. The sources of my "spam" were closed down within a day.

Mind you - denying the phenomenon on the grounds of 'political correctness' also denies the more effective strategies for amelioration of the root causes. 'Political correctness' is the moron's substitute for caring, IMO.

I really like the idea behind your definition of 'political correctness'!! It covers not only caring for the root causes of discrimination and poverty, but also respect and admiration for the uniqueness of differences among people.

OTOH, most immigrant peoples, as dra007 points out, manage to gain respect and contribute to the economy and general good without any outside help, but simply by being hardworking, decent people, open to the differences in the culture they have entered, yet proud of some of the traditions they have brought with them. Whether it is Romanians, Irish, Italians, Chinese, Mexicans, Indians, Koreans, black ghetto kids or trailer trash who are pursuing a different path to attain the wordly goods and pursuit of happiness promised by whatever new land they have moved to, the root cause is often their own choice. I will admit that available health care, good after school programs, drug education, etc. often give the nudge that some people need to choose wisely. And, a continued insistence of a policy of acceptance of ability without looking at race, creed, gender, etc. by those who have made it is also necessary.

Miss Betsy

Archived