Webmail: why is my SpamCop address book suddenly EMPTY?

Edit - false alarm? - now the contents of my address book are back again. Maybe it was a temporary glitch whereby disk access somewhere was blocked for a few minutes. Sorry

Not sure how to respond ... leaving just that I tagged this as Resolved.

And now it's back again. Great, I get to play hide-and-seek with my address book. Anyone else having such problems? I know this is going to drive me nuts (my wife says, "that's not a drive; it's a putt") if it keeps up. Why on earth would the address book disappear for a half hour and then come back for a few minutes, disappear again and come back intermittently like that? Really bizarro.

Making a 'new' Topic for a continuation of an existing Discussion doesn't fly here. The 'new' Topic has been merged into the original Topic on the same subject.

Anyone else having such problems?

No corresponding traffic here or in the newsgroups.

Why on earth would the address book disappear for a half hour and then come back for a few minutes, disappear again and come back intermittently like that? Really bizarro.

The easy assumption would be that JT or Trevor would be working on the system at the time of your issues. I just checked the 'news' page but see no notification of possible outages, so if this is the case, perhaps you're hitting during a re-boot of a system.

On the other hand, the web-mail screen does have a "Problem" icon, such that you can ask them directly. Have you used that function/link yet?

On the other hand, the web-mail screen does have a "Problem" icon, such that you can ask them directly. Have you used that function/link yet?

Don't bother at this point.

To: "JT"

Cc: "trevorb"

Subject: User's Address Book

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 23:29:22 -0500

Forum Topic http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9729

User complains that his Address Book disappears, then reappears some time later. There isn't anything on the 'news' page about system work. Thus far, it's only a single user with the complaint.

cdwitmer (IP Address elided)

<e-mail address elided>

Members (8 Posts)

Is it simply that you are working on the system, re-boots, whatever?

And now it's back again. Great, I get to play hide-and-seek with my address book. Anyone else having such problems? I know this is going to drive me nuts (my wife says, "that's not a drive; it's a putt") if it keeps up. Why on earth would the address book disappear for a half hour and then come back for a few minutes, disappear again and come back intermittently like that? Really bizarro.

OK, I was about to check my own system last night when I noticed your first never mind... now wish I had continued. I just tested and see all of my contacts... I will be out of the house most of the day however (unless this rain cancels soccer games) to check very often.

Since this problem has most definitely not been resolved, it might be a good idea to unmark it as "resolved" if that is possible. The problem is continuing to occur. I have sent repeated "problem" reports from inside webmail but so far I have yet to receive anything more than an automated reply. This is very frustrating. Not only does it interfere with my work, it makes me very nervous about Spamcop in general. "Am I flying in an airplane held together with duct tape?" etc.

I'm assuming that most responders here are not in a position to do anything to solve this particular problem but any help that you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. I depend on Spamcop's webmail and need it to be reliable.

Thanks!

Thanks, Steven. Trevor sent me an email suggesting that since I seem to be the only person experiencing the problem, I should consider the possibility that I'm experiencing some sort of a browser issue.

However, at this very moment I can't access webmail at all . . . when I'm able to access it again I'll confirm the number of entries, but I'm certain I have far few than 135 entries in it. 135 entries! Are you sure you're not a spammer? :)

-- Chris

135 entries! Are you sure you're not a spammer? :)
These seem to be added mostly when I reply to messages within webmail... the address gets added to my addressbook. I've probably a setting somewhere doing it, but it has proved useful from time to time when I need an address and all the messages are on my machine at home.

Archived