"You have nnn.nk bytes available" message after reporting

labboypro

Search didn't turn anything up with this specific message...

Can someone point me to documentation on the significance of this message? I get it after submitting spam, on the return page under "Report another spam?" section, just before my "average reporting time" statistic. It's telling me I have nnn.k bytes (of something) available to me... but is that how much raw spam I can send? Does it run out and reset at some interval? Or is this something I have to buy? Or???

I've seen the number dwindle, and it's now at the 500k mark... which doesn't sound like much left on the meter. I'm wondering if I'm going to "run out" of ability to report spam soon as a result.

Hi, labboypro,

...Does SpamCop Forum topic "Cisco email regarding 'fuel'" answer your question, at least partly?

Thanks, I saw that, and no... at least I don't think so. I am not using any Cisco-branded tool, and I'm not using any email handling/parsing/forwarding service related to SpamCop. I am simply manually reporting spam via SpamCop's web interface (I am actually using SpamBully Outlook plug-in to assist, but it's still a "manual" process from SpamCop's perspective) to report spam. I forward spam reports to a mysterio-cryptic email address at SpamCop. It replies with a link to "finish" the processing. I click the link, which lands me on SpamCop site, where I review the parsed header info, and click the "Process spam" button. The resulting return page is where I'm seeing the message I called out in my OP.

I am simply manually reporting spam via SpamCop's web interface (I am actually using SpamBully Outlook plug-in to assist, but it's still a "manual" process from SpamCop's perspective) to report spam.

When SpamCop crashed a while ago Cisco gave free members 15M of full membership reporting.

Once it's used up you will be put back to free "membership reporting" unless you decide to "top-up" the account.

If you log-in you can see more whats happening log-in here

http://www.spamcop.net/

Then go (as example) SCBL

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...178.129.179.157

try clicking

[report history]

Free members can't do this (see user reports)

WOW now your hooked, addicted a must have

Also you can go to the TAB "Preferences" and check

"Show Technical Details during reporting"

"Show technical data"

http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showadvanced

Here you can get a lot of other options when you do full reporting

Thanks for the replies. Now the ticker makes sense, and I do recall seeing a thread about the bonus that was added after the extended outage... though I didn't ever actually receive the email from SC about it as others reported, so I ASSumed it didn't apply to me since I'm a free user.

When SpamCop crashed a while ago Cisco gave free members 15M of full membership reporting.

Once it's used up you will be put back to free "membership reporting" unless you decide to "top-up" the account.

If you log-in you can see more whats happening log-in here

http://www.spamcop.net/

Then go (as example) SCBL

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...178.129.179.157

try clicking

[report history]

Free members can't do this (see user reports)

WOW now your hooked, addicted a must have

"Show technical data"

Here you can get a lot of other options when you do full reporting

To the above instructions, I'm not seeing any of this when I log in. I see tabs for Report spam | Mailhosts | Statistics | Past Reports | Preferences. ASSuming (a dangerous thing) that "Past Reports" is what you mean by "see user reports" above, I don't see anything any different than I have ever seen (even before the outage and subsequent fuel credit)... it's just a list of previous spam submission report summaries, with links to report details. In the end, I guess I haven't really missed anything if I didn't even know I had something... that's now about to run out :blink:

I guess I haven't really missed anything if I didn't even know I had something... that's now about to run out :blink:

Once/after you are logged in try clicking the links I provided?

...I guess I haven't really missed anything if I didn't even know I had something... that's now about to run out :blink:
Well, that summary of previous reports (by all reporters) is one of the "extras" you don't get with the free account, as petzl says, I guess we're talking about the same facility (feed the IP in question into the "Report Ð…pam" submission box of your member account page then click on the [report history] link, select "Last 90 days" for maximum history). With a free account you can only see the summary of your own reports (and the detail of them at the next level of inquiry). Also you don't get the countdown/delay and nag screen on processing webform spam submissions.

You make a good point but for me, having experienced and used the past reports lookup feature (and mostly/almost always using the webform submission method), I think I will buy some fuel in future when my current credits expire (clever Cisco giving them in the first place). If I had a lot of spam I would probably get an integrated/flat rate mail and reporting account (even if not using the mail part in the first instance) as the best deal for that circumstance. And I guess I would get very serious about tackling my provider on the issue of his blocking e-mail submissions to my submit.(my code)[at]spam.spamcop.net address.

... in hoc enim genere nescio quo pacto magis quam in aliis cuique pulchrum est - or, "to each his own".

Once/after you are logged in try clicking the links I provided?

I can hit this example URL directly, but not sure how I would have gotten there via the account tabs I mentioned earlier. As such, I can only assume this is "new" since being fueled up, since I've not seen it before. I did look up one of my hosted site names, and clicked to see that I am "neutral" ... and that, by and large, my host company's servers are neutral as well (except for one-- not the one I'm on-- which is listed as "poor" :( ).

"Show technical data"

Wasn't this already there? I don't remember all the options, but it _seems_ like I had quite a few as a free user.

Thanks again, all, for the clarification. I'll take a look at all this once my fuel tank runs dry to determine if I really missed anything after all.

<snip>

"Show technical data"

<snip>

Wasn't this already there? I don't remember all the options, but it _seems_ like I had quite a few as a free user.

<snip>

...You are correct, I had that option set back before I had reporting fuel (and I am not a SpamCop e-mail subscriber, I only use the free reporting service).

Archived