New User

Hello,

I'm new to spam Cop and this forum. I have subscribed to SpamCop but have not done anything with it yet. The more I read, the more confused I become.

I use my domain address as my e-mail address and I think I know how to forward mail from my domain's account management page to SpamCop, then SpamCop to my ISP since I want to continue to use the domain address for e-mail.

I use MS Outlook 2003 for my mail and if I configure my set up as stated above, will mail still come to Outlook? Or will all of it be held at SpamCop in the held mail folder because I do not have these senders in the white list yet? Do I need to take all of my contacts from Outlook and put them into a personal white list one by one? I have not set up any special 'rules' or 'filters' since I have no idea how to do that. Mail is filtered in Outlook and known spam goes into the junk folder.

I do use Mail Washer and preview and delete from the server before I download. That has been a great help with all the virus' and worms that are going around lately. Besides Mail Washer I have Norton Anti virus to notify me when a message contains a virus.

We do a lot of PR work for the company we purchased our motorhome from and have a lot of inquiry e-mail from people that are not in our Contact folder in Outlook. Any address that is not in the Contacts goes to the junk folder and I can either state whether it is junk or not.

How is all this going to work with SpamCop? I'd like to have all the virus e-mails and spam pulled out before I get it in my in box. And are the new contacts going to be deleted?

While we are at our winter home checking e-mail or being on the web is no problem, but when on the road, I use my cell phone and have to wait until after 9 p.m. to do any surfing......free time after 9, so I'm wondering how much time I'll have to be on line getting held messages.

Sorry for the confusion and hope I've made some sense here....this is all new and not sure what I'm doing.

Thoroughly confused in Lake Havasu, Az.

You've really got too much in here to try to handle gracefully. I'm going to start with "your ISP" .. You mention "winter home", but toss out "on the road" .. so to begin with, do you access "your ISP" the same from either "locale" ??? If so, then one answer to your lead-in is yes, if you're getting e-mail from them into your Outlook now, then this will continue.

You say you don't know how to set filters ... to which I can only suggest that you log into your "subscribed" account and wander around the Preferences and configuration screens at least to take a look at what's there, then come back and ask some specific questions.

Based on your domain to SpamCop to your ISP, in theory, mail will travel OK. What happens to specific e-mail is based on what selections you make in setting up your SpamCop account. So until you take a look at what you "can" do, take a stab at what you "want" to do, it's a bit hard to say specifically what will make it to your Held folder.

How much on-line time to handle your SpamCop e-mail boxes also falls under the above, and, of course, just how much e-mail you get to begin with. At this point, as you say you are at the winter-home now and time isn't an issue, try to wade through the set-up stuff, give it a try and see what happens.

There are others that may be able to provide some better insight, but I've noticed that this post has been here for a while with no response, so thought I'd jump in and at least try to get you to go take a look at what options are there so you can better pin down your next question(s) ....

Thanks Wazoo for the info. When at our winter home I have a wireless system. Turn on the computer, go to Mail Washer, then download to Outlook. When on the road I dial into Verizon, get on, and do the same to get e-mail. So if I get it set up correctly, I should still get mail the same. I'll work on it here while time isn't the issue.

To keep getting mail like I do, do I have to add all the e-mail addresses one by one in the white list? Or will it by pass that and come into my mail box as usual?

Sorry for all the confusion. I do better when someone can 'walk' me through something first. Doing this on my own, is confusing.

In all fairness, I don't use the e-mail side of the house, so all I'm doing is parroting things I recall being discussed by others here and over in the newsgroups. But, to answer your specific on the whitelisting, there is an option that includes "drag and whitelist" .. I believe, that's dragging from Held to the Inbox ... so it's a bit automated as far as adding in those "new" contacts .. well, automated with your help <g> .. you shouldn't have to type everything in (unless you want to try to get ahead of the game)

Wazoo, thanks for your comments.

syaotr, this is how I envision your Email flow:

Domain Email -> Domain Management Company -> SpamCop Address -> SpamCop Filtering (viruses deleted, probable spam held) -> Cable/DSL ISP -> Outlook POP (see http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/122.html for how to deal with spam that falls through the cracks)

spam in Held Mail Folder -> Manual Review and Semiautomated Reporting (see Jeff G.'s Guide to SpamCop Quick Reporting for details) -> SpamCop Trash Folder -> Outlook IMAP

Verizon Dialup ISP -> Outlook POP (again, see http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/122.html for how to deal with spam that falls through the cracks)

I may have your Cable/DSL ISP and Verizon Dialup ISP mixed up above.

You can now bulk-whitelist by using Outlook and IMAP to drag a bunch of good mail into a Folder on imap.spamcop.net, selecting it all using Webmail, and then clicking the "Release and Whitelist" Link. The mail that you just whitelisted will be redelivered to your Cable/DSL ISP. I'm not sure why the previous "Whitelist" Link in Webmail disappeared, and that functionality is not available in VER.

Archived