Unable to report spam from account that uses another spam relay system

Hello,

I have a university mail account that uses an outiside spam filtering system. However, when spam gets through this, I am unable to report this spam using spam cop. It appears to be becuase the external spam relay is not listed in the Mx record for the account, and therefore spamcop is rejecting everything after this line as a forgery, and so finds no origin for the spam. How can I get around this?

Sounds like a case for Don - service[at]admin.spamcop.net (with details of your reporting account so he can see your mailhosts setup) but it would have been interesting to see a Tracking URL.

Especially because Mailhosts (which you posted your query into) is designed to take that into account if properly setup.

Thanks, sorry, I am quite a newby at this.

Tracking URL is http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1363802510zb...fdcc7b2632ee61z

However, I can't see what this will show (other than No source IP - but there was in the orignal message)

This allowed running the spam through using a non-MailHost Configured Reporting Acoount.

Note the "chain broken" issue in this parse http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1364162394z2...8451f39896cc6dz ... however, also note that both of these lines were 'discarded' during the non-MailHost Configured parse ....

This is the type of data needed to explain why your MailHost Configured Reporting account has parsing issues .. just what systems are involved as far as the "possible" hand manipulations of 'your' database entries in the 'shared' database ....

Further, I would have suggested the "Deputies" address, as that would give three folks the opportunity to handle this, vice the singular of submitting straight to Don ...

Thanks, sorry, I am quite a newby at this.

Tracking URL is http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1363802510zb...fdcc7b2632ee61z

However, I can't see what this will show (other than No source IP - but there was in the orignal message)

To explain it a different way:

0: Received: from ml-relay1.kcl.ac.uk ([137.73.2.230] helo=Hazel) by elder deliveryblue with esmtp id 1IBUMw-0003BB-L1 for x; Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:40:30 +0100

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

The server, identifying itself as "elder deliveryblue" (which should be a FQDN), is not in your Mailhost configuration. Something has changed with the path your mail takes since your mailhosts were last configured. You should stop reporting until you successfully resubmit and confirm your mailhost for this account.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for advice but am still having the same problem. Have re-confirmed this mail acount, but have got another spam from this source.

"elder deliveryblue" is not a mail server associated with my mail, so this must be a forgery. However, the mailhost before this "ml-relay1.kcl.ac.uk" is not. Any further thoughts on what I can do?

Previous contributors have suggested reporting this to 'deputies' - I am not sure how to do this.

Tracking URL is http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1376165259ze...6da1c05f69cb1fz

Thanks

Will

To explain it a different way:

The server, identifying itself as "elder deliveryblue" (which should be a FQDN), is not in your Mailhost configuration. Something has changed with the path your mail takes since your mailhosts were last configured. You should stop reporting until you successfully resubmit and confirm your mailhost for this account.

<snip>

Previous contributors have suggested reporting this to 'deputies' - I am not sure how to do this.

<snip>

Hi, Will,

...You seem to have missed the Pinned Item "Mailhost Issues - please read before posting" which appears on the main page of this Forum under the Heading "Important Topics." Please check that message. Thanks! :) <g>

Hi, Will,

...You seem to have missed the Pinned Item "Mailhost Issues - please read before posting" which appears on the main page of this Forum under the Heading "Important Topics." Please check that message. Thanks! :) <g>

One method was also already mentioned in the first reply (linear post 2) in this thread.

Archived