Weird

My "held e-mail" has also dwindled significantly. I figured either (1) spammers took a holiday for July 4th weekend, (2) some new law went into effect July 1 so that fewer people are spamming, or (3) my standard e-mail server (Earthlink) put a new system online that is filtering it before it even gets forwarded to Spamcop. Any ideas about which might be right? Or maybe something else entirely?

I used to have 100+ held e-mails per day, and now it's on the order of 10 or 20. (Yes, I've had my e-mail address for MANY years!)

Not said by any of you yet ... is it only that the spam spew has slowed at issue or is that spam spew isn't being caught and therefore ending up in the InBox? I know it's not the same, but one of my HotMail accounts hasn't showed any signs of slowing down, in fact having one particular scumsucking lowlife nailing me with 5 to 20 copies of each and every one he/she is sending .. not enough to get into a mail-bombing situation, but what a strange "error mode" for spam-spew-software to get tripped into ..??

Sorry, Wazoo, I should have said that no more spam is getting through to my inbox, either. In fact, it has decreased proportionally as well. So perhaps these spammers (or at least "my" batch of spammers) are taking a holiday? We'll see on Monday or Tuesday. The only thing that makes me skeptical about the holiday explanation is that this reduction in spam volume came immdiately after the trouble with accessing held mail. Since that time the volume has never been the same.

Actually there has been a dramatic reduction in the spam reaching my inbox.

I did change my black list settings by actually using all of the lists.

I was expecting a increase in my held mail because of that change, but it also was greatly reduced.

It does not appear that any good mail is being lost.

It just seems to be a strange turn of events that can't be explained.

Hubby (not a spamcop member -- he doesn't get nearly as much spam as I do) also reports a dramatic reduction in the amount of spam he is receiving. He uses a different mailhost than I do as well, so two important differences and the same effect. Also, July 4 doesn't mean anything to spammers in foreign countries, so could the holiday thesis really hold up? Hubby tended to buy my "law going into effect July 1" thesis. Has anyone heard of such a law? I'll do a quick internet search and see what I can find, but you'd think it would be in the newspaper -- perhaps even on the front page!!

Another possible explanation:

Story from USA Today on Anti-spam Litigation

Here's a link to the appeal judge's published opinion, which makes excellent reading for anyone who hates spam and spammers. The usual weaselly defences don't work. If you spam, you can be nailed for it, and the courts will come down hard. (Snotty Richter, take note).

State of Washington, Respondent v. Jason Heckel dba Natural Instincts, Appellant

What's that? The risk of being hit with almost $100,000 in fines and costs weren't mentioned in Heckel's book, How to Profit from the Internet? Tough. :)

I'm not getting all my mails from my forwarded account, either. They're in my main account but not forwarding to spamcop.

You piggybacked a Topic that deals with other issues. Did you do this on purpose? You used the word "forwarding" so one would ask if there's something up with your other account to explain the lack of action. One would like to think that if that account was still Forwarding but failing, you'd have a pile of error messages in your InBox, but you make no mention of this.

What does it take to ping a deputy!

What might you mean by "ping a deputy" ???? And to further get off track, none of the Deputies has access to JT's servers, which is where the e-mail system resides.

What?

The topic is people not getting all their emails. I'm not getting all my emails.

I forward email from an isp account to my spamcop account. Not all of them are forwarding. Why would it be my isp account's problem when other spamcop users are having the same problem?

This has been going on for several days and there is nothing here to suggest anyone is looking into it.

>>You piggybacked a Topic that deals with other issues. Did you do this on purpose? You used the word "forwarding" so one would ask if there's something up with your other account to explain the lack of action. One would like to think that if that account was still Forwarding but failing, you'd have a pile of error messages in your InBox, but you make no mention of this.

What?

The topic is people not getting all their emails. I'm not getting all my emails.

not even close. This Topic has thus far been about some strange reduction in receiving spam e-mail, thus a reduction in Held Folder traffic.

I forward email from an isp account to my spamcop account. Not all of them are forwarding. Why would it be my isp account's problem when other spamcop users are having the same problem?

Sorry, but I don't recall seeing others with your complaint lately. Not saying it isn't happening, but .. nothing in the newsgroups and only your posting on this issue today.

This has been going on for several days and there is nothing here to suggest anyone is looking into it.

Correct ... as it doesn't appear to be happening to others.

>>not even close. This Topic has thus far been about some strange reduction in receiving spam e-mail, thus a reduction in Held Folder traffic.

No, it's not. These people are talking about inboxes, not held mail folders.

>>apeikoff Posted: Jul 3 2004, 06:28 PM

Sorry, Wazoo, I should have said that no more spam is getting through to my inbox, either. In fact, it has decreased proportionally as well. So perhaps these spammers (or at least "my" batch of spammers) are taking a holiday? We'll see on Monday or Tuesday.

>>dbiel Posted: Jul 3 2004, 08:51 PM

Actually there has been a dramatic reduction in the spam reaching my inbox.

I have no idea how you translate all that into matching your "my Forwarded e-mail is not showing up" ... Thus I still stand by my last suggestions and possibilities ... I just ran through the newsgroups once again and there is no posting that suggests that the SpamCop E-Mail server is hosed. I'd think that after 4 hours (since your first post) that there'd be some other complaints showing, but again, not ruling anything out ...

I have no idea how you translate all that into matching your "my Forwarded e-mail is not showing up" ...

People will see what they want to see? That's about the only way I can explain it. :)

-JEV

430?!  And I thought I had it bad.  Time to change e-mail addresses, maybe?

I am getting a little more spam today. . .

That I refuse to do.. I have had this email address since 1996 and it is in wide spread use. SpamCop keeps the spam in my inbox to about 2-5 per day, very managable.

That I refuse to do.. I have had this email address since 1996 and it is in wide spread use. SpamCop keeps the spam in my inbox to about 2-5 per day, very managable.

Hear, hear! I get thousands of spam a day (dictionary attacks vs. vanity domain), of which maybe 2-3 messages make it through my ISP's and SpamCop's filters to arrive in... my Outlook 2003 "Junk Mail" folder. Why on earth do they bother? :)

I have no idea how you translate all that into matching your "my Forwarded e-mail is not showing up" ...  Thus I still stand by my last suggestions and possibilities ... I just ran through the newsgroups once again and there is no posting that suggests that the SpamCop E-Mail server is hosed.  I'd think that after 4 hours (since your first post) that there'd be some other complaints showing, but again, not ruling anything out ...

There is no problem with my ISP forwarding e-mail to Spamcop. It all seems to be working splendidly. However, I do have reduced spam traffic since the beginning of July.

Archived