Yahoo Messenger spam Bots

jimbo7149

I have been receiving IM spam messages that look like they are from a friend of mine. Here is one that I copied:

BUZZ!!!

Hey , been a while since I found something this awesome. It let me drop 21 pounds in two weeks and only cost me 5 bucks. Check it out here http:/ /karkline.com

BUZZ!!!

Did you see the Acai Berry pills on Oprah the other day. I found a good source for 5 dollars. They really do work because I lost 6 pounds in a week. Try it too http:/ /flicfast.com

I thought it was legit until I went there and it asked for my credit info. It was not a secure site. So, I called my friend and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I have received these spam IM's from the same person (supposedly) on several occasions since. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this reported or at least stopped? They come over Yahoo Messenger.

Jimbo

Moderator edit of color/size settings, breaking of the URLs

I have been receiving IM spam messages that look like they are from a friend of mine.

After looking around on this forum you may notice that large text is not used to scream your question. (thank you Steven)

You may also notice after reading FAQ, "Start here - before making your first post" and other places that this forum deals with spam email, use of the SpamCop.net tools and associated email service.

Although the examples you give sound similar to email spam, the IM delivery is different and not related to this forum.

You might contact Yahoo support and see if they can help you.

Good luck.

...I thought it was legit until I went there and it asked for my credit info. It was not a secure site. So, I called my friend and she had no idea what I was talking about. ...
Not stopping it by any means but you could:
  • use your McAfee SiteAdvisor reporter account to document your observations about those sites
  • refrain from posting clickable links (=SEO points) to them in further commentary around the internet
  • do neither and start to look just a little bit complicit :P

Are you getting these from a Yahoo ID that you recognize / is already on your friend's list?

If so, your friend's acct was probably phished and taken over by some hacker/spammer.

If you report it to yahoo they will eventually kill the acct. Its a pain to report SPIM because most ISP, Hosts, tend to take the attitude that SPIM is not spam therefore they don't have to deal with it because the victim can't prove they where spimmed because SPIM has no header or unique IP info.

I'm kind of the SPIM Nazi... I've been hunting one Spimmer for the last 3 years. There should be old thread on here about Yahoo SPIM that I started.

Archived