Reporting Difficulties

Usually, after forwarding junk via the Knujon plugin in Firefox, I receive an email listing the reports I just sent.

I can click one report link and be taken to submit that report immediately. A confirmation screen comes on with a link to "Report Another".

Under most circumstances, this link takes me to the next report which I then report. This continues with me clicking "report another" until all spam email has been reported.

Since Mar 25th, many times the "report another" link takes me to a report that has already been completed, complete with the "If reported today, reports would be sent to:"

Submitting 20 spam email would take me 40 clicks to complete. Now I am having to scroll through many links to old reports instead of reporting "fresh" spam.

Since Mar 25th, many times the "report another" link takes me to a report that has already been completed, complete with the "If reported today, reports would be sent to:"

Submitting 20 spam email would take me 40 clicks to complete. Now I am having to scroll through many links to old reports instead of reporting "fresh" spam.

I don't know about your 25th date, but the systems were down for about 5 hours yesterday (26th) for a major upgrade and your reported issue has been reported over in the newsgroups and experienced by me. The SpamCop staff is saying it is the database catching up on 5 million links stored during the outage and should be clear by now or shortly. I have no new spam to report this morning, so can not test.

Starting today, I've been seeing the "Unreported spam — Report Now" link on the "Sending Reports" page — and when I click it, I get the parse page for the same spam, with "Reports have already been sent", and sometimes, at the bottom, again "Unreported spam — Report Now" … for the same spam again. It's been taking up to three tries by now (the "true" reports and dismissing two "already sent" parses) to make the link disappear… until next time. Whose feet are being played with? Could this be related to the "Failed to load spam headers" error which has recently started appearing? (And FYI I'm running only one SpamCop reporting tab in only one browser window.)

P.S. Unlike City Slicker, I send all my spam by pasting it in the SC webpage, not by email. At first, clicking the "Report now" link once was enough to make it (temporarily) disappear, but lately I've had to click it again below the "Reports have already been sent" page. Let's hope the problem will "cure itself" but FWIW, I don't see particularly high spam rates on the daily stats (click the white-and-green histogram near top right of this page) after the outage as compared to before.

Just mentioning... I noticed the same problem today (March 27) but not before the maintenance.

"Same problem" is: I forwarded spam, I click on the Report spam link, I report the spam, then it returns to the reporting page with the "Report spam" link still active (but with the "already visited" color scheme), and when I click on it again it displays the report I just made.

Today, I submitted 40 spams that were received in my inbox overnight. Over half of them came up as "this report has already been sent"

Either there is a bug in the new spamcop system, or spamcop has decided to not accept spam reports for the same issue from multiple users, or similar (but not identical) spam reports from the same user.

As an abuse manager for 3 data centers, this is of great concern to me.

We depend on the 'quantity' of reports from 'unique submitters' to determine the volume of spam, and to help determine whether or not it is (or might be) a joe-job.

I sincerely hope this is simply a bug with the spamcop system and that it gets resolved.

An Admin response would be appreciated.

I too noticed that with manual parsing spam fails to be reported as usual and simply defults to the reporting window without reports being sent. This is really a new issue.

Thanks

Dr A

PS. It acts as reported above (i. e. typical of reports already sent behavior)

I copy and paste the original format of gmail spam into the SC form, and starting this morning, I'm getting this:

Failed to load spam header

Yeah, there is a separate forum thread about that. The admins are trying to get it resolved. In the meantime, usually after submitting the same spam repeatedly the error goes away. But it has taken me up to ten tries before getting to the parse page.

I am still seeing the errror as of 2:29 EST, must be a major issue with the upgrade if it takes so long to fix! Intrestingly there is no obvious drop in statistics except for the gap last night when the system shut down.

I suspect the reports actually are being made, but the list isn't being displayed when it goes back to the spam form. So when you click "Report spam" again, you see the "already reported" notice.

It is hardly back to normal; I cannot even get into the heldmail folder for manual reporting, all I get is:

Reports from Engineering are they found a problem between the master and slave databases. This has been fixed now, so the parsing problems/errors should be gone.

They also found a coding in the held mail coding, which has been fixed. Held mail '500' errors should now be gone

They've also fixed the apnic problem and abuse.net problem, so those should be fixed.

Let us know if you're still seeing any error or come across any new ones.

Thanks,

Richard

This from the news group about 8:23 PM (EST)

We're still having problems with reporting from the Held Mail folder when logged into the reporting side.

The engineers are on it and an emergency fix is planned. I don't know if that means daylight hours on Saturday, or if we have to wait until Monday.

Hope springs eternal.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

We're still having problems with reporting from the Held Mail folder when logged into the reporting side.

The engineers are on it and an emergency fix is planned. I don't know if that means daylight hours on Saturday, or if we have to wait until Monday.

Hope springs eternal.

Don,

To clarify the 'problem from the reporting side':

Is this the same problem we are experiencing when we receive the message "Reports of this issue have already been sent", and we are not given the option to report the spam?

Today roughly 1/4 - 1/3 of the reports I FW'd were 'unreportable' due to the system saying that reports had already been sent. (Previously it was closer to 1/2)

Thanks,

john

Is this the same problem we are experiencing when we receive the message "Reports of this issue have already been sent", and we are not given the option to report the spam?

In my experience, the reports have indeed been sent, but whatever decides whether or not to present the "Unreported spam - Report Now" link gets confused and shows it when it oughtn't to.

I report spam via the web interface, and what I'd been seeing (but not anymore) was, just after reporting spam, a "Report Now" link going back to the just reported spam item. The parser found that reports had already been sent, didn't offer to send them again, but sometimes showed the same "Report Now" link at the bottom, again for the same spam. Repeatedly clicking that "Report Now" link finally made it disappear.

Is this the same problem we are experiencing when we receive the message "Reports of this issue have already been sent"
No, it's not.

"Reports of this issue have already been sent" is SpamCop telling you that you have just re-parsed a spam you already reported.

I'm not seeing the problem when I send in some spam and then use the "Report Now" link. It seems to be working normally now.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

sorry to be beating on a dead horse but I am still seeing the problem, mind you less frequently but occasional manually reported spam fails as if already reported with the only option left to reload from the trash folder. That can't be very practical with the large amounts of spam some of us have to report.

"Reports of this issue have already been sent" is SpamCop telling you that you have just re-parsed a spam you already reported.

I'm not seeing the problem when I send in some spam and then use the "Report Now" link. It seems to be working normally now.

Don,

Then there is a problem with the reporting system.

I bundle up all my overnight spam and submit them as an attachment.

I then wait an appropriate amount of time and log into the web system to manually report them.

I have been doing the same thing for several years.

a) I do not double report.

B) If an email/spam looks similar, it is most likely the same spam sent to multiple email accounts/honeypots on my system.

c) Even B) does not account for the sudden appearance of such a high percentage of "already reported" instances.

As I asked in my first post here, are we now doing 'similarity' matching? And, then only allowing 1 submission across multiple users?

As an abuse manager, I rely on the 'quantity' and 'diversity' of the spamcop reports to help identify the nature/level of the spam abuse committed by my customers. Limiting the feedback we get, could give me the (false) impression that, rather than an outbreak, it is a single spam email, which would be quickly forgiven and dismissed with only a warning.

_john

Archived