[Resolved] reporting from bulletin board registration

Hello,

is it possible to report IP adresses not via email?

I'm programming an anti spam module for a PHP based bulletin board software. Here it's possible to identify most of spam account registration machines by a simple trick. There are not any false positives. Is it possible to report the ip-addresses of the spam account registration machines to spamcop.net with a special email template?

I'm sending emails via my providers SMTP server. I'm not using DNS MX queries with simple mail(). So I'm not spamming! ;)

Bye Martin

Hi, Martin,

...Could you please explain a bit more? Specifically, these two statements in your post appear to me to be contradictory:

Is it possible to report the ip-addresses of the spam account registration machines to spamcop.net with a special email template?
...If I understand what you're trying to do (attempting to use the SpamCop parser to generate and send spam complaints on your behalf and/ or to report spamming IP addresses to SpamCop for purposes of trying to get those source IP addresses onto the SpamCop DNSBL), I'd advise against it, as the parser might incorrectly interpret the spam as having originated from your own e-mail provider. Reviewing the parse results and the abuse addresses to which SpamCop is offering to send your complaints is the recommended approach.

Is it possible to report the ip-addresses of the spam account registration machines to spamcop.net with a special email template?

Sorry, but it's not possible.

SpamCop doesn't accept "nominations" for inclusion in our stats.

SpamCop only looks at actual email spam that our users get and submit to us for processing.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Hello,

okay, I understand.

I would have to fake email headers and so on. It's tricky and risky.

So I can't report to scamcop! It's okay.

I'm checking the IP addresses with cqcounter.com and dnsbl.info manually. But they are not included in any of the used blacklists.

But the FQDNs are telling that they are coming always from the same source networks.

So I'm wondering a little bit.

It seems that I have to start my own special bulletin board blacklist. :unsure:

Bye Martin

Now, why would you want to report a crime (spam) without the proof (spam email). As a system administrator, I like to see true proofs of the actual crime. This means I see the header that my email server tacked on in your report. I will pull up the logs and verify the actual spam came from my server. If it is not valid, you are waisting your time.

Archived