[Resolved] Javascript error

gtforum

When I try to open utube, I get the following error:

Hello, you either have J a v a S c r i p t turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player. Hello, you either have J a v a S c r i p t turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I DO have J a v a S c r i p t turned on and have installed the latest flash player.

How do I fix this?

Above "J a v a S c r i p t" should be read without spaces . Forum editor doesn't like it without spaces.

I had that once, with an old Mozilla browser. Darned if I know how to fix it, it just fixed itself (literally) overnight. At the same time IE7 and Firefox had no trouble. What browser are you using? Any notable add-ins, like ad-block?

Google tells how to turn JS on.

I HAVE it turned on!!

I had that once, with an old Mozilla browser. Darned if I know how to fix it, it just fixed itself (literally) overnight. At the same time IE7 and Firefox had no trouble. What browser are you using? Any notable add-ins, like ad-block?

I am using IE 6.0

I am using Zone Alarm but I don't think that is the problem.

...I am using IE 6.0

I am using Zone Alarm but I don't think that is the problem.

Agree about ZA. I just Googled, and found a possible solution - in a video on YouTube :lol: I shall be kind. The first thing it says is to clear your browser cache and your cookies.

Agree about ZA. I just Googled, and found a possible solution - in a video on YouTube :lol: I shall be kind. The first thing it says is to clear your browser cache and your cookies.

Why is this the boiler plate answer to all problems?

Since I alway keep both the cache and cookies clear all the time (as I do not want my cookies inspected by any sites) why does everyone assume otherwise.

I always clear both every time I exit the web and many times during.

Also any time there is any problem - I clear all.

Does not clear problem still can't view.

Why is this the boiler plate answer to all problems?
...What boilerplate? Do you mean our reference to Google? If so, that's simply because that's one of the tools that is frequently used to try to find answers to problems via the web. Do you mean clearing your cache? You didn't tell us you had done that, so rather than assuming you knew to do it, Farelf suggested it just in case you hadn't.
<snip>

why does everyone assume otherwise.

<snip>

...No one is assuming anything. You haven't told us much. We're just offering possible solutions.
Google tells how to turn JS on.

<snip>

...Not every one of the Google posts does! For example, the first link I see (<a href="http://www.google.com/url?url=http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-27418-how-to-turn-java scri_pt&ei=lDkDSrDTJYqW-QHfqbGKBQ&sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&source=groups&usg=AFQjCNHKHCH18YRe7IM7qwLjPhV6of_yaA" target="_blank">How to turn java scri_pt</a>) includes the following suggestion:
Your Trend Micro Internet Security software has stopped JAVA Scripts from running. See if it has an option to allow specific sites access to JAVA or to bypass security for YouTube.
...If this is not the solution to your problem, please peruse the other links returned by the Google link I offered to see if there's one or more that might in fact apply to your situation. If you can post more details of your situation (OS, browser, version, etc) others might be able to offer more specific help.

...Since I alway keep both the cache and cookies clear all the time (as I do not want my cookies inspected by any sites) why does everyone assume otherwise....
Well, that's one video you didn't need to see anyway. I was overwhelmed by the humor of a video providing advice on what to do when you can't watch video. But I guess it's not so funny on the other side of the screen.

Another suggestion seen is uninstalling Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX and reinstalling it. That's another dumb 'boilerplate' - can relate to either corrupt Flash player or security blocking, it seems (assuming security setting automagically accommodates the 'new' installation). If either of those was actually behind the problem I should think there are smarter fixes than that - but I don't know them. Anyway, like the previous 'boilerplate' (non)solution, it's a boilerplate because it works in enough cases for it to be a boilerplate.

... looked at GOOGLE for the original problem - none applied to my problem.

(all suggestions had been tried and failed.)

Bummer. I'm assuming you could use YouTube one day and couldn't the next? You're using IE6 which is subject to Windows update, I suppose. Could an auto update to IE6 have done something? If so that's another avenue for research - or maybe rings a bell with someone reading this.

When I try to open utube, I get the following error:

Just noting that most of the responses seem to talk about "youtube" .... quite different from the results I see when looking at the "utube" dot com site. Graphic 'links' there seemed to be redirection links to some sort if search function, though admitting I stopped at two attempts.

I DO have J a v a S c r i p t turned on and have installed the latest flash player.

I don't have an IE6 machine handy, but "J a v a S c r i p t turned on" ????? There are some configuration settings for (Sun) Java, Activex, 'scripting' settings, etc., in addition to the "trusted/blocked/etc." site section.????

Above "J a v a S c r i p t" should be read without spaces . Forum editor doesn't like it without spaces.

It's not "the editor" .. this is one of my heavy-handed hacks to prevent some hacking attempts agasint the application.

And in the general theme of boilerplate solutions, the fragility of some of the add-ins/helper apps etc. - you have re-booted since encountering the problem, haven't you? Assume so, since (both) such a basic move and re-installing Flash already written off as a fix. Just checking (and reminded just now when my browser's beloved sidebar went AWOL for the first time ever and for no apparent reason, requiring re-boot to be functional once more - yeah, that worked for me).

At this point, you've told us you've (effectively, independently) pretty much worked through the diagnostics in http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/...mp;answer=57669 (which I've just 'discovered') so I could only suggest going to the final step, posting about the problem 'there', hopefully getting input from people who have seen it all before. I'm not much use, as said at the start - my problem (yeah, I tried re-booting too) fixed itself. Somehow. No experiential value in that.

Not to brush off Wazoo's post, above. Read that too.

...What boilerplate?

I means the clear cache etc.

Do you mean our reference to Google? If so, that's simply because that's one of the tools that is frequently used to try to find answers to problems via the web. Do you mean clearing your cache? You didn't tell us you had done that, so rather than assuming you knew to do it, Farelf suggested it just in case you hadn't....No one is assuming anything. You haven't told us much. We're just offering possible solutions.Google tells how to turn JS on.

<snip>...Not every one of the Google posts does! For example, the first link I see (<a href="http://www.google.com/url?url=http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-27418-how-to-turn-java scri_pt&ei=lDkDSrDTJYqW-QHfqbGKBQ&sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&source=groups&usg=AFQjCNHKHCH18YRe7IM7qwLjPhV6of_yaA" target="_blank">How to turn java scri_pt</a>)

Googled and tried applicable suggestions.

Most I had already done.

No change.

Still can't open you tube (lazy me callin it - utube1.)

includes the following suggestion:...If this is not the solution to your problem, please peruse the other links returned by the Google link I offered to see if there's one or more that might in fact apply to your situation. If you can post more details of your situation (OS, browser, version, etc) others might be able to offer more specific help.

See inline comments

Well, that's one video you didn't need to see anyway. I was overwhelmed by the humor of a video providing advice on what to do when you can't watch video. But I guess it's not so funny on the other side of the screen.

Another suggestion seen is uninstalling Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX and reinstalling it. That's another dumb 'boilerplate' - can relate to either corrupt Flash player or security blocking, it seems (assuming security setting automagically accommodates the 'new' installation). If either of those was actually behind the problem I should think there are smarter fixes than that - but I don't know them. Anyway, like the previous 'boilerplate' (non)solution, it's a boilerplate because it works in enough cases for it to be a boilerplate.

Did uninstall and reinstall,

still doesn't work.

I don't have an IE6 machine handy, but "J a v a S c r i p t turned on" ????? There are some configuration settings for (Sun) Java, Activex, 'scripting' settings, etc., in addition to the "trusted/blocked/etc." site section.????

Made the security settings

Still doesn't work.

And in the general theme of boilerplate solutions, the fragility of some of the add-ins/helper apps etc. - you have re-booted since encountering the problem, haven't you? Assume so, since (both) such a basic move and re-installing Flash already written off as a fix. Just checking (and reminded just now when my browser's beloved sidebar went AWOL for the first time ever and for no apparent reason, requiring re-boot to be functional once more - yeah, that worked for me).

At this point, you've told us you've (effectively, independently) pretty much worked through the diagnostics in http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/...mp;answer=57669 (which I've just 'discovered') so I could only suggest going to the final step, posting about the problem 'there', hopefully getting input from people who have seen it all before. I'm not much use, as said at the start - my problem (yeah, I tried re-booting too) fixed itself. Somehow. No experiential value in that.

Not to brush off Wazoo's post, above. Read that too.

Read Wazoo's post - no help.

This started happening several weeks ago.

Do not know of any new programs installed, just MS updates.

1[Moderator edit - topic subtitle changed to show this is a YouTube issue. Other instances of 'utube' untouched]

Do not know of any new programs installed, just MS updates.

All the standard troubleshooting questions have squeezed out a nugget.

MS updates have been known to change flags, settings during the update process. I have also noticed sometimes settings bounce back and forth because the update process does not get all copies used set the same.

MS updates have been known to change flags, settings during the update process. I have also noticed sometimes settings bounce back and forth because the update process does not get all copies used set the same.

Any ideas ho to cur this.

As it has been several (unknown how many) months, I don't want to delete all the updates hunting for the correct one.

Any ideas ho to cur this....
Can't see any 'prime suspects' myself (Win XP, IE7/IE8, Office 2007), but with so many possible settings who knows?

I again suggest http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/...mp;answer=57669

Work through the process - if you have tried each of the several suggestions already that will take only minutes (but you need to do it to be sure). When you get to the end (with no resolution) you will be pointed to help forum(s) where, given that all the main causes are already eliminated, 'they' supposedly concentrate on helping out in exactly the sort of situation in which you find yourself.

I haven't looked, don't know how responsive they might be but previous threads could/most likely already have the solution, check them out first, before posting there.

I suggest that is the logical direction to take. Not trying to fob you off or anything but if anyone 'here' had the specific experience and knowledge to help further I expect they would have spoken up by now. Of course someone here might still suggest something specific which works. But you increase your odds by going to the other place as well as keeping an eye open 'here' for further suggestions.

If you do find an answer elsewhere, 'we' would appreciate hearing the good news.

Over in the (thankfully) restored Newsgroups (spamcop.geeks, thread "YouTube error", started 11 May 2009 15:00:39 -0700) Mike Easter pointed to a suggested uninstalling of Adobe Flash and installing whichever appropriate of "the specific freestanding and complete players"

Related links:

Flash Player for Internet Explorer (full standalone package)

Flash Player for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape (full standalone package)

Flash Player Uninstall program as found

to be found from link http://www.softwarepatch.com/network-secur...d-security.html

... and the NG O/P (assumed to be the O/P here based on several things including IP address) reported

I finally got the link to the complete flash player download.

Installed it a(nd) HOORAY that cured the problem.

Thanks

All is well ..., etc. Marking this resolved.

Archived