Allow spam reporting without body

Skinkie

Lately I receive more and more spam emails that do not have a body and thus cannot be reported. The subject is used 'as body'.

Would it be possible to ignore body contents if the subject exceeds lets say 255 characters?

Lately I receive more and more spam emails that do not have a body and thus cannot be reported. The subject is used 'as body'.

Would it be possible to ignore body contents if the subject exceeds lets say 255 characters?

I'm not understanding your suggestion -- are you asking SpamCop to ignore the body, or to ignore the fact that there is no body? A tracking URL would help us figure out what you mean.

In any case, messages like this can be made reportable by adding a short note to them (to create a body). See http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5019

-- rick

<snip>

Hi!

...Are you asking that your suggestion be considered as a new feature for the SpamCop parser?

In the past, I use to get a lot of email were the subject line was used as the body of the message with nothing being entered in the actual email body. This was a real problem for me due to the email client and OS I use. If I tried to open or even delete the message, my email client would crash. It would happen every time the character count of the subject line exceed a specific number of characters. The only way I could delete the message was to do it with a block of messages, clicking on the one before it and after it while holding down the shift key so that the entire block was selected. Then I could undelete any message I wanted to keep, but it was important to make sure that the bad message did not become the first message in the deleted folder or I would be back in a crashing situation again. I eventually solved the problem by turning off the preview mode.

• 4 months later...
I'm not understanding your suggestion -- are you asking SpamCop to ignore the body, or to ignore the fact that there is no body? A tracking URL would help us figure out what you mean.

In any case, messages like this can be made reportable by adding a short note to them (to create a body). See http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5019

...Are you asking that your suggestion be considered as a new feature for the SpamCop parser?

I agree with the O/P's suggestion. Sometimes a spammer will place their entire message in the Subject line and there will be nothing where the body should be. See latest example Tracking URL.

And no, this would not be a new feature, just a change to the way 'no body' messages are handled. Such as: IF there is no message body AND the Subject line is longer than xx (average subject line length) characters THEN continue processing normally.

Also, I tried the first suggestion of manually adding a short note to create a body. The message was parsed, but there was still a minor error note about the body. :unsure:

I agree with the O/P's suggestion. Sometimes a spammer will place their entire message in the Subject line and there will be nothing where the body should be.

Also, I tried the first suggestion of manually adding a short note to create a body. The message was parsed, but there was still a minor error note about the body. :unsure:

I add a enter key twice then past following short message

NO TEXT IN spam BODY

BLANK EMAIL DOS ATTACK

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z3343789213z2...;action=display

Were getting hundreds of these in held/spam folder now down to none (reporting seems to work)

I agree with the O/P's suggestion. Sometimes a spammer will place their entire message in the Subject line and there will be nothing where the body should be.
Thanks for the tracker. This guy is an idiot.

Actually, I don't understand why SpamCop doesn't report bodiless messages. I suppose there is a reason, but it hasn't been revealed unto me.

And no, this would not be a new feature, just a change to the way 'no body' messages are handled. Such as: IF there is no message body AND the Subject line is longer than xx (average subject line length) characters THEN continue processing normally.
Most of the bodiless spams that I get are probes with nothing in the subject line, so even your idea about subject line length would not help me.

It is important to have a blank line (two successive newlines) between the end of the header and the beginning of the body. Did you do this?

-- rick

Thanks for the tracker. This guy is an idiot.

<snip>

It is important to have a blank line (two successive newlines) between the end of the header and the beginning of the body. Did you do this?

Yes, I did have a blank line between the header and body note. There was still a minor complaint message about the body (which I did not save), but the report was sent anyway.

If you thought that example was bad, you should have seen one from a few months ago. The spam message in the subject line filled the entire screen. I wasn't aware the subject line could accept that many characters until then. :unsure:

Not up for doing a search right now, but I believe that Quick Reporting doesn't mess wth looking for a body .. of course, there are some standard caveats and warnings about the use of Quick Reporting itself. Description and requirements are available in the Wiki.

Archived