Sleepy forum?

MyNameHere

Until a few days ago, it was a long time that I was away from the SpamCop forum.

Sure seems quieter than it used to. Does that mean things are running so smoothly, or there are very few SpamCop users any more, or there is another place folks go to discuss SpamCop issues, or is it just my imagination?

:closedeyes: ZZzzzzz...........

Sure seems quieter than it used to. Does that mean things are running so smoothly, or there are very few SpamCop users any more, or there is another place folks go to discuss SpamCop issues, or is it just my imagination?

Easiest answer, check the current "Help" page at spamcop.net. Note the missing links to both the newsgroups and the Forum.

So does SpamCop management not want a peer support system?
Excellent question, raised by many over an extended period. The nearest thing to an answer (AFAICT) is that the forums and/or the newsgroups are still used by SC staff for major notifications and staff (mostly Don) seem to otherwise drop by from time time to time and to publicly assist/guide needy members from time to time. So there is is some remaining acknowledgement of these (mostly peer-to-peer) venues.

When these forums first opened there was a great deal of effort applied to helping the large numbers of people who came along to complain that their Email was being blocked, that the reporting service seemed to be malfunctioning etc.

It does seem that with time the parser and Email services have largely settled into a predictable reliability so the need to handle issues has, perhaps, subsided.

As for the complaints that Email is being blocked, well I suppose they may have reduced for all sorts of reasons - perhaps ISPs are being more intelligent in the handling of spam reports and incoming spam that fails the SCBL test. Quite possibly the links that used to be offered on the main SC website to these forums are less apparent so those affected don't find us so readily.

But for whatever reason issues don't arise so frequently so, inevitably, discussion and debate have reduced which is probably no bad thing.

Andrew

Regardless, the lack of activity here may raise some flags as to the effectiveness of SpamCop service. Looking at the statistics though, the number of reported spam has not changed that much apart form fluctuations and trends that come and go in cycles. I noticed that soon after we see reports of a major spammer being put/shut down there are downward trends in spam, but as good as they feel at that moment they are as a rule transient..and ephemeral...

Archived