OT Rejoinder: Blocked for 2 months now

turetzsr

...From "Blocked for 2 months now" in SpamCop Blocklist Help:

<snip>

Not to worry, though. I sent a PM to the user, apologized for the reception he got, and offered to help him by email so he won't have to run the gauntlet here again.

...Well, gee, thanks so very much, Don, that will be a big help in the event the user is one of the occasional participants who has a crippled sense of humor! :) <g>

...From "Blocked for 2 months now" in SpamCop Blocklist Help:

<snip>

Not to worry, though. I sent a PM to the user, apologized for the reception he got, and offered to help him by email so he won't have to run the gauntlet here again.

Hardly a "gauntlet" - I see a single arch comment and an offer to help, with a polite request for the requisite data - followed by a succession of other people offering to help, also asking for the information to do so and suggesting hypothetical causes in the absence of such information.

Time was when an initial post of such type might be met with a stiff invitation to consult the FAQs for guidance on how to effectively ask for help or to conduct the research, perform any necessary diagnostics and fix anything fixable from their end by themselves. Now we jump all over each other like so many puppies at feeding time, each vying to add some snippet which might assist or otherwise strike a chord with the surprised supplicant - and this constitutes a 'gauntlet'? I suppose, taken as a whole, it might seem so to a particularly timorous person.

Well, all that was trumped already when Don weighed in with his offer to help. None of us would imagine we could offer more than he to resolve or explain the issues (we haven't a fraction of his experience, nor do we have the SC access, we know that). Yet still he tries to reform (or at least lambaste) some of us. Confused puppies.

I'm sorry to see that your reading difficulties are getting worse.

Had you actually read my post with a modicum of comprehension, you would have seen that I quoted Derek T's statement when he said, "Unfortunately all our psychics are on their Easter Holiday," which would have given you a clue about the focus of my post.

The "gauntlet" is form of punishment in which a person is forced to run between two lines of men facing each other and armed with clubs or whips to beat the victim.

In this case, the reference is to the rude comments visitors to these forums are often forced to endure in order to get some help.

To be fair, though, I should note that I know you wouldn't recognize a rude comment if it jumped off the screen and bit you on the nose.

- Eternally Hopeful Don -

Instructions were given that I nor Edit, Delete, or Move a paid-staff Post, I did do the one thing not specifically stated .. Unapproved tis specific Post in the referenced Topic so as to remove it from Public view. This response has nothing to do with providing assistance to the user allegedly asking for help.

Now if you want to talk definitions, your offering and justification don't natch. One comment does not make a gaunlet.

I sure as hell recognise the chip on your sholder. But if you want a rude comment identified, there have been a couple within your most recent Posts here. How you handle your own e=mail/personal cotacts is your affair, though noting you have ticked off more than few folks that way yourself. However, bad-mouthing the majority of folks that have offered and spend their personal time and knowledge here is simply beyond redemption.

Rude, crude stuff seen in numerous other Forum environments doesn't happen here. Nothing close to things known as 'flame wars' typically seen in various newsgroups are not usually seen here, especially within the Help Forum sections.

In the past, I thought that something close to an agreement had been made, that personal attacks like this would be hidden away in the more private sections of this Forum. You chose to do it this time in a public place, and even worse, into a HelpTopic where language was already an issue. All I can say is shame on you

I would have to point out that it's obvious that someone isn't reading the Lounge area matter. Oh well, the second copy of the existing Post in the referenced Topic was also 'unapproved' ... Reason still remains the same .... no need for the personal attacks to be displayed within a public Help-request Forum section/Discussion.

I would have to point out that it's obvious that someone isn't reading the Lounge area matter. Oh well, the second copy of the existing Post in the referenced Topic was also 'unapproved' ...
Don once said he had no intention of looking in the lounge (seeing it as wholly 'social' I guess, nor in some others not directed at immediate user assistance) but has occasionally looked in lounge at least IIRC. Certainly can't rely on him picking anything up from here. Well, anywhere - but Don has said many times he will respond to a direct appeal for help (but not by PM which he apparently refuses and he has said he has set his forum preference to ignore some posters which makes things a trifle selective).

FWIW I agree with your actions - there was a 'compact' against warring/personal attacks in the topics of those coming here for help but I guess it was mostly one-sided. All the good reasons not to have been well-discussed before which is besides the point - it is totally unnecessary, irrelevant and unprofessional. Any concerns with behavior, style and other subjective perceptions are off-topic there and should not be expressed in the subject topic. The excessive combativeness would better be focussed on our common adversary, the spammers and I happen to think he lacks the credentials to deliver lessons in etiquette, partly because of his public, undisguised, and relentless hostility towards a number of members. That's a subjective assessment of course.

Admin edit: Post relocated.

Had you actually read my post with a modicum of comprehension, you would have seen that I quoted Derek T's statement when he said, "Unfortunately all our psychics are on their Easter Holiday," which would have given you a clue about the focus of my post.

Don, I don't know how many online forums you are involved in but "Unfortunately all our psychics are on holiday" and another form "My crystal ball is currently in the shop" is well accepted in every online forum I have been involved with since my first newsgroup post more than 20 years ago. This is still an on-line community that needs information to answer questions and YOUR response is another reason I rarely post in this specific one any longer. I apologize to all the people I could have helped.

Archived