"New" retention time?

jev

How long are forums marked as having new messages,a nd how long are messages marked as being new? This last time I came to the site, the help and email forums were marked as having new messages. I went into mail, which had multiple new messages, and started reading a thread. When I was done with the thread, I went back into the email forum main page, and there were no more new messages/threads. I went back out to the main page, and the help forum wasn't even marked as having anything new anymore, even though I hadn't chosen to mark messages as read, or to read them.

Is this something funky in the settings on my end? Is this something funky with the forums in general? Most forums I've seen that require login and track new messages will leave a thread/message/forum marked as new unless you tell it it should be read. It doesn't appear to be the case on these, and I'm wondering if that is because of something I can change, or not. Thanks.

-JEV

How long are forums marked as having new messages,a nd how long are messages marked as being new?  This last time I came to the site, the help and email forums were marked as having new messages.  I went into mail, which had multiple new messages, and started reading a thread.  When I was done with the thread, I went back into the email forum main page, and there were no more new messages/threads.  I went back out to the main page, and the help forum wasn't even marked as having anything new anymore, even though I hadn't chosen to mark messages as read, or to read them.

Is this something funky in the settings on my end?  Is this something funky with the forums in general?  Most forums I've seen that require login and track new messages will leave a thread/message/forum marked as new unless you tell it it should be read.  It doesn't appear to be the case on these, and I'm wondering if that is because of something I can change, or not.  Thanks.

-JEV

The forums should be marked as having new messages unless you actually go into those topics.

I've seen some funniness with the forum software myself. It appears that some times things are being marked as read that I haven't actually read. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

JT

I think this is due to a new cookie-based "login" that resets the "since last login" time. I think the logout occurs after a timeout of perhaps 10 minutes. I think I've seen the same symptom. I am going to try to stop the cookie login for my account and see if it stops the symptom for me.

I checked that out, and it's mostly right. Seems that if you stay on that page too long (even if you click and hit back), it refreshes there as well, and you lose the link to go to the last unread, and everything gets marked as read. This happened to me after I had just gotten done reading the 4th link of 9 in the window.

Seems like something a bit wonky is going on here...

-JEV

Yeah, I'm surprised it doesn't just keep track and not mark as read unless explicitly read or explicitly told to be marked as read.

-JEV

I think there's something wrong with the forum software. They're about to release their new version in the next couple weeks. I'm debating waiting for that to come out and try that or just move the whole thing to vBulletin.

JT

Archived