spamcop reporting

:angry: i get so much spam that i do not have the time to process each and every message one by one via the spam cop method. so, if i report 100 spam messages, i receive in turn 100 messages from spamcop telling me that spamcop has received one email for processing. i thought that when i began paying for spamcop, that the program would take care of the report process itself without any further intervention from me. Because i can not deal with spamcop's reporting method, i have had to turn it off. If there is no workaround, then i can't use it and would like a refund.

take care of the report process itself without any further intervention from me

not sure where you "saw" that ... part of the agreement was that you would take the responsibility of ensuring reports actually went to the proper place ...

not knowing what type of account you have, not sure what address to offer up for your refund request. if report-only, service at admin.spamcop.net .... if the e-mail type account, then service at spamcop.net ... either will require data sufficient for them to identify your account

:angry: i get so much spam that i do not have the time to process each and every message one by one via the spam cop method.  so, if i report 100 spam messages, i receive in turn 100 messages from spamcop telling me that spamcop has received one email for processing.  i thought that when i began paying for spamcop, that the program would take care of the report process itself without any further intervention from me.  Because i can not deal with spamcop's reporting method, i have had to turn it off.  If there is no workaround, then i can't use it and would like a refund.

Who would you blame if a parsing error caused you to report yourself or your provider as being the spammer?

If the answer is "yourself", or you are 100% positive that a parsing error won't cause problems if you or your provider ends up being identified as the spam source and subsequently listed in the SCBL, then you can request the ability to "quick report" your spams.

The quick reports will attempt to identify the correct source of the spam and feed the blocklist, however since most spammers rape open proxies or open relays, and the quick reports ignore spamvertised URLs, the spammer won't really suffer due to the quick reports. The spammer will just have to find different proxies/relays to abuse in order to get their spewage delivered.

ignore spamvertised URLs, the spammer won't really suffer due to the quick reports

I am reporting manually, yet a lot of URL's repeats are shown as either being appealed or are from a server in China which does not do anything about it (if I am to judge by the daily repeats of same URL's and source)....

I still hope what I do is effective, or at least reduces the amount of spam attack...

:angry: i get so much spam that i do not have the time to process each and every message one by one via the spam cop method.  so, if i report 100 spam messages, i receive in turn 100 messages from spamcop telling me that spamcop has received one email for processing.  i thought that when i began paying for spamcop, that the program would take care of the report process itself without any further intervention from me.  Because i can not deal with spamcop's reporting method, i have had to turn it off.  If there is no workaround, then i can't use it and would like a refund.

I know it's frustrating, but the anger should stay towards the spam. It's the spammers who are putting you in this position and not spamcop. But there are some things you can do.

1. I am assuming you have an email account with spamcop? This is the best way for you to get rid of spam. You forward all of your email your spamcop email account and it gets filtered by the spamcop blacklist. Which is a huge database of all the spam currently out there. The spam gets held in a email box called "held". Which means you never receive it on your computer. But you do need to check that held email to make sure the email is spam.

2. You are receiving the 100 messages from spamcop telling you that spamcop has received one email for processing because of the way you are reporting. I am assuming that you are reporting by forwarding your email. If you report by going to their website you won't get this message. If you had an email account with spamcop and forward all your email to that account, this would speed up the process and keep you from seeing spam in your inbox.

3. There may be some settings in your preferences that send you a report everytime you report spam in spamcop.

4. The problem with spam is that you need to check it everyday to make sure none of your good email has snuck into the spam held email. This doesn't take too long, usually you can tell spam by who it's from and the subject header.

In conclusion, here is what spamcop needs to better diagnose your problem.

1. What type of spam service did you pay for spamcop?

2. How are you reporting your spam: forwarding it to spamcop, clicking on a spamcop link in your browser and pasting, have a spamcop email account and are reporting through held mail or reporting by using quickreport in the held mail.

Hi, thedukeofurl!

...In addition to all the good advice you've already received, I would suggest you prioritize which spams you will report and bounce that against how many you willing to report, then report only those. No one is going to flame you for failing to report each and every spam you receive (although that would be nice!). :)

So quickreporting isn't doing the same thing as reporting each piece of spam individually?  I didn't think there was a difference.

Don't see that you got an answer .... if we're using the same definitions, Quick Reporting simply goes for the source IP address of the spam. A 'normal' report of 'each' spam would include looking for other issues, links, etc.

Archived