SpamCop reporting activity

dbiel

Not really a help issue but thought it best fit here.

We all know that forum activity has been on the down turn, so I was wondering about the overall reporting activity. In check the recent statistics, it appears that reporting is on the up swing.

The following is a list of spam messages submitted per second

50.9 - last 24 hours

47.7 - last week

41.4 - last month

36.1 - last year

We all know that forum activity has been on the down turn, so I was wondering about the overall reporting activity.

An interesting topic but it would good to know why the forum activity has turned down...

Lots of potential reasons and all guesses... ISPs may have stopped or reduced the use of the SCBL which in turn means fewer folk coming with the 'Why have you blocked my Email' type messages. Perhaps the often discussed tone of forum messages has put off folk. Maybe folk are just resigned to the never ending spew of junk Email and have given up the idea of tackling it...

Probably we'll never know.

Andrew

An interesting topic but it would good to know why the forum activity has turned down...

Lots of potential reasons and all guesses...

<snip>

...Or:
  • visitors are able to find, via searching or perusing the posts, what they came here to discover (the Miss Betsy hypothesis).
  • visitors are put off by the sheer volume of information here and despair of ever finding what they want.

• 4 weeks later...
Or search engine spam was increased enough and people don't find useful info as easily as they used to. I find it much harder to locate topics of interest from search queries now, than a year ago.
The trick (and what turetzsr - Steve - is talking about) is to use the search facility on this site - at the top of the page. Ain't no spam here. Or if you find any, let us know. We tuck it away in a nice dark hole.

Probably the largest factor is the difficulty new potential users have of simply finding this forum. Blocked users tend to be directed to www.spamcop.net where the links that use to lead to this forum have since been removed, making it far harder for new users to find the SpamCop forum.

I have to concur with the last statement; it is hard to find this place unless you specifically look for a <<SpamCop forum>>. Most uninitiated end up on the official SpamCop site and follow whatever instructions they find there withough a second thought, so I assume the officials of SpamCop are seeing a lot more traffic that we no nothing about. Even new users of SpamCop would have a hard time finding this forum.

Another issue is that a lot of workplaces are now restricting or blocking access to forums (including my own)!

Archived