Is it appropriate...

mrmaxx

Just a question here... we keep getting "advised" by foreign registrars that they had received a request by another company to register the "brand" of our company name and a foreign domain name that matches our US domain name, i.e. company.co.hk and company.co.cn, etc.

Would that be appropriate to report as "spam" or do you just delete it and go on with your day? I realize that it's a come-on to get us to fork out money, but I'm not entirely sure it doesn't fall into a gray area.

I'd like some "official" (i.e. a deputy response, if not a response from Don D'Minion himself) guidance on this, please...

Thanks!

<snip>

I'd like some "official" (i.e. a deputy response, if not a response from Don D'Minion himself) guidance on this, please...

...In that case, I'd suggest you contact him directly: service[at]admin.spamcop.net and/ or deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

Just a question here... we keep getting "advised" by foreign registrars that they had received a request by another company to register the "brand" of our company name and a foreign domain name that matches our US domain name, i.e. company.co.hk and company.co.cn, etc.

Would that be appropriate to report as "spam" or do you just delete it and go on with your day? I realize that it's a come-on to get us to fork out money, but I'm not entirely sure it doesn't fall into a gray area.

I tell them to go ahead and register that domain... we are US only. :)

I can assure you that is an advertising "tool" sent out by the registrar. If you have never done business with that registrar it is a violation of the US CAN-spam law and would be a violation in most countries where there are spam laws. Presumably you know how to register domains, why do you need these clowns to tell you acme.co.ph is being registered?

If it's a "come-on," why would it fall into a "gray area"? How is this any different than a "link exchange request"? Hey, you want to link, fine. You don't need to send me an email to request it.

On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?

Seems pretty clear to me. The "bulk" bit might throw you but historically the type of message you describe has always been supported as a spam item here. Why do you feel the need for explicit confirmation from management?

Doesn't matter, the question is whether the registration request is a real one and if so whether the rules of ICAN (sp?) local law or good practice require the "advice". IIRC if company.co.hk includes a trademark the registrant can be forced to disgorge.

I would suspect the actual sender would not be the registrar but someone running an advanced fee scam.

It might be worth a check to see whether company.co.hk etc was in fact registered by some hopeful person.

Archived