Alternative Solutions to SpamBlocking

wuffy

Recently, Yahoo Mail is being blocked by SpamCop which our webhost is using. Our web host insists that it isn't their problem. And from SpamCop's end there are really a lot of spam coming from Yahoo addresses.

Our company cannot afford to ignore Yahoo Mail since a good chunk of our customers use that email provider. While we can advice them to get a different email, that is such a huge inconvenience to them.

Just wondering if it is possible to take our customer service email address off our current webhost and put it on a different mail server. I just need 1 email address...not the whole domain account.

Recently, Yahoo Mail is being blocked by SpamCop which our webhost is using. Our web host insists that it isn't their problem. And from SpamCop's end there are really a lot of spam coming from Yahoo addresses.

Our company cannot afford to ignore Yahoo Mail since a good chunk of our customers use that email provider. While we can advice them to get a different email, that is such a huge inconvenience to them.

Just wondering if it is possible to take our customer service email address off our current webhost and put it on a different mail server. I just need 1 email address...not the whole domain account.

Actually, SpamCop blocks nothing, it is your web-host that is doing the blocking. It is therefore very disingenuous of them to say that it's not their problem. SpamCop does NOT recommend using its list in the blocking mode but it's a case of their server, their rules.

Does you host offer a whitelisting service? If not, you could try using a third-party email service like, say, SpamCop :)

Once you make a deal with a new Host, the MX Records need to be updated to point to this new Host. This will include "all" e-mail addresses to the Domain's new MX Host, not "just" the 'customer service' addres.

Seeing as you Registered here using a Yahoo address, not a clue as to whther you're currntly hosted somewhere that allows you access to change those records or not.

I tried to use the whitelist using spam Assasin which is included in my web host. While we are aware of the risks of putting Yahoo on whitelist, it is something we have to take since many clients use yahoo mail.

I'm accessing spam Assasin through CPANEL and I'm not sure where the actual configuration file is but I'm still looking. My web host has washed their hands on this problem.

We put in the domain 'yahoo.com' in the whitelist. Some of the blocked emails are now being received however others are still being blocked. Any idea on what causes this?

I know our webhost uses SpamCop but if I put *yahoo.com or the IP addresses that are blocked by SpamCop in the whitelist of spam Assassin, would it supersede the blacklist of the host?

I know our webhost uses SpamCop but if I put *yahoo.com or the IP addresses that are blocked by SpamCop in the whitelist of spam Assassin, would it supersede the blacklist of the host?

The 'fun' of managing things, something you'll have to get a handle on if you choose to follow up on your last question and try to run your own e-mail server. The only folks that can answer the question in this Post are the folks involved in the admistration/configuration of your current e-mail Host. It would all depend on the sequence and logic states/decisions in the setup of their Hosting system and toolset, and even that would be impacted on just where they decided to implement 'user configuation' settings.

We put in the domain 'yahoo.com' in the whitelist. Some of the blocked emails are now being received however others are still being blocked. Any idea on what causes this?

Apparently, your attempt to whitelist aren't really working. "What causes this" seems to be based on your still not understanding the SpamCopDNSBL. You are wanting to deal with a "Domain" whereas the SpamCopDNSBL only deals with IP Addresses. (and of course, the unknown [but apparently easily guessed in this] situation, the interaction of your Host's configuration and the placement of upir 'personla' configuration settings.

For a similar situation from a "sender's" point of view, please see the Discussion at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11762

While we are aware of the risks of putting Yahoo on whitelist, it is something we have to take since many clients use yahoo mail.

Seems like an easier thing to do would be to make your situation known to your clients also .... the fact that Yahoo is allowing so much spam to soew from their servers that their e-mail is being blocked by other folks that don't want to deal with it. Some links 'here' to explain things a bit include;

What is SpamCop.net?

Why Am I Blocked? Probable Causes

Personal E-mail Blocked?

What is the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)?

Archived