LinkedIn mail servers blocked?

SpamCop 98

There are currently six LI mailservers on a USA server blocked. Aren't the mail alerts controlled solely by the users?

Although SpamCop can't find a valid address it may be they are having the same problem ARIN is having with Internap.

At least abuse[at]LI has registered as a third party interested in reports. When I see that, and the low numbers of reported abuses and the absence of spamtrap hits, I cannot help but wonder if some folks are just reporting it as spam instead of turning off their mail via LI prefs.

OTOH, LI will send a blind notice to emails it does not yet have a relationship with if folks try to link in to that addy.

Of course this came up right after I read this post about Sonic Bids.

I got an item from LinkedIn yesterday which I had never seen before nor had requested. Seemed to be a new format of Email they had introduced. I recognised this and have manually unsubscribed from that type of message but I imagine that a good number of folks will have reported without necessarily realising what the message was.

When a service like LinkedIn adds a new Email and automatically adds users to receive then there is likely to be this kind of issue.

Andrew

• 1 year later...

When a service like LinkedIn adds a new Email and automatically adds users to receive then there is likely to be this kind of issue.

Eight years later, the same still happens. When a person signs up for LinkedIn, they are subscribed by default to various promotional announcements. Opt-out bulk email is bad in itself, but it gets even worse when LinkedIn repeatedly adds or renames promotion categories and automatically adds all their users to them. This reckless disregard for the privacy of users has already landed LinkedIn on Spamhaus (see e.g. SBL149301). My email provider has received complaints from its users and now seems to have blocked LinkedIn entirely. It is sad to see a potentially useful service such as LinkedIn go down the drain because of its own greediness.

Interesting. Finally got around to cancelling my LinkedIn account just now. I had never opened it, never validated it, never used any account link. Someone else "subscribed" me. No complaints, my "sponsor"s credentials were given and I no advertising since I (presumably) had no effective profile, I just got frequent e-mails about the activities of other "group members" (evidently there was some sort of profile) and the occasional nudge to participate. Cancellation was quite painless, but I did have to "reset" the password I had never set (but no need to remember it, I was able to proceed straight to cancellation without going through re-entry). All besides the point of the topic but confirming they abide by some of their privacy policies at least - and it was impressively slick.

Yes, it is a shame they rely on advertising "opt out" (and membership, in my case) and sometimes circumvent even that. I can see how that would infuriate many active members. As with acceptance of privacy policy changes (effectively, "continued membership signifies acceptance, else here is the handy cancellation link") they invite "voting with the feet". I can only imagine they calculate that the net effect will do them no harm, perhaps enhance them, as they huddle a compliant membership into a "critical mass" core.

A bit like Micro$oft really. Oh well, as the punchline of the joke has it, "... there are no Gates or Windows in heaven." There has to be a comeback to that - something about "just an unending Vista within the Cloud," perhaps - but that's dead depressing from the privacy point of view. Oh well, commentators are telling us privacy is an obsolete concept in this Brave New World. That's STILL depressing.

Archived