SMTP Auth in webmail

mrmaxx

I've been having some problems sending email to Yahoo Groups from webmail. Well, they finally told me today what the problem is -- to combat spam (a laudable goal) they have decided to require SMTP authentication when sending email to Yahoo groups. I see no way to set that up in Webmail. Am I missing something? Is there any way to enable that if it's not set up?

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is having problems with this. Thanks!

I've been having some problems sending email to Yahoo Groups from webmail. Well, they finally told me today what the problem is -- to combat spam (a laudable goal) they have decided to require SMTP authentication when sending email to Yahoo groups. I see no way to set that up in Webmail.

Whether it's really "SMTP Auth" or not might be open to debate (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTP_Authentication), but I think what you're saying is that You'd like to post to Yahoo Groups using a "From" address *other* than your true SpamCop address, yes? For example, if your actual SpamCop address is <myaddress[at]spamcop.net> but your membership to the Yahoo group is instead under <anotheraddress[at]somedomain.net>, Yahoo will not accept your message if you're using <anotheraddress[at]somedomain.net> as the From in your webmail settings. They describe this here:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=conten...mpressions=true

According to what I read there, you could configure your true SpamCop address as an "alternate posting address" and make sure you switch to your SpamCop address as your "from" when posting to Yahoo Groups using SpamCop webmail, but perhaps you don't want to expose your SpamCop address to the recipients of the Group messages? If so, a slight compromise would be to use the "plussed addressing" feature of SpamCop and create an alternate identity in the webmail settings for say <myaddress+ygroups[at]spamcop.net> and configure that in YGroups as an alternate posting address and you'd be in better shape than not being able to post at all.

Or, to make matters even easier, why not just log into the YGroups web interface and post from there? Doesn't your group allow that? All the Ygroups I belong to allow you to post using Yahoo's interface, as an alternative to sending an email.

DT

• 3 weeks later...

Whether it's really "SMTP Auth" or not might be open to debate (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTP_Authentication), but I think what you're saying is that You'd like to post to Yahoo Groups using a "From" address *other* than your true SpamCop address, yes? For example, if your actual SpamCop address is <myaddress[at]spamcop.net> but your membership to the Yahoo group is instead under <anotheraddress[at]somedomain.net>, Yahoo will not accept your message if you're using <anotheraddress[at]somedomain.net> as the From in your webmail settings.

Correct.

According to what I read there, you could configure your true SpamCop address as an "alternate posting address" and make sure you switch to your SpamCop address as your "from" when posting to Yahoo Groups using SpamCop webmail, but perhaps you don't want to expose your SpamCop address to the recipients of the Group messages? If so, a slight compromise would be to use the "plussed addressing" feature of SpamCop and create an alternate identity in the webmail settings for say <myaddress+ygroups[at]spamcop.net> and configure that in YGroups as an alternate posting address and you'd be in better shape than not being able to post at all.

Or, to make matters even easier, why not just log into the YGroups web interface and post from there? Doesn't your group allow that? All the Ygroups I belong to allow you to post using Yahoo's interface, as an alternative to sending an email.

DT

Well, if I already have Webmail open, and I'm replying to a group message, it would be easier to just reply to it, rather than having to open another browser tab, go to Yahoo Groups, log in, find the message I want to reply to, reply to it, and go on.

Since it's a family group, and I'm the group admin, I don't really mind exposing my SpamCop email address, but I'd still prefer to use my Yahoo address. And yes, I think they really mean SMTP Auth, because I'm trying to reply to a Yahoo groups message from a Yahoo email address. I'm paying for Pop/SMTP access with Yahoo, so I can pop/send email directly to Yahoo from my email client.

I *can* send from my email client, but I'm often at work where I don't have my personal email and as I'm the on-site IT guy, I often don't have a lot to do, and will check my personal email on SC, so it would be NICE, since SC already has my Yahoo password, to be able to send via Yahoo as well.

Archived