Spamcop stopping emails

piglet

Suddenly, Spamcop appeared on my computer. It began blocking one sender who types in all capitol letters due to near blindness. The addy given is:

209.240.207.249 This sender uses WebTV. How can I set things so that he can continue to send me emails using capitol letters?

AND how did I get on your List to enable that little thing on MY computer?

Thanks for an answer.

Please start by going through the Why am I Blocked FAQ

Though reading your query seems a bit backwards. If the sender is blocked, you wouldn't see anything on your screen. If the sender's e-mail was blocked, then perhaps the sender would have received a bounce message from your ISP's e-mail server. If you'll go to http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...209.240.207.249 , you'll see some of the evidence of things that git this IP listed. You'll note the neither this evidence file or the FAQ pay any attention to the sender typing an all caps.

AND how did I get on your List to enable that little thing on MY computer

You're going to have to explain how "what" got onto your computer.

It began blocking one sender who types in all capitol letters due to near blindness.

Content filters often block emails that are typed in all capital letters. Spamcop only blocks emails based on IP addresses.

Spamcop, at no time, puts a little thing on your computer. There are three parts to spamcop: an email service that uses the spamcop blocking list to tag spam

a reporting service that sends reports to ISP's when spam comes from their system

a list of IP addresses called a blocklist that people use to either tag or block spam

The first two you would have to sign up for so I would think you would remember. I don't know about the email service, but the reporting side does not put anything on your computer. The last one is not under the control of spamcop and is usually noticed by others when they receive a bounce that says the email they sent was rejected because their email IP address is on spamcop's blocklist.

The only other place that I can think of that you might notice a little spamcop thing is on a spam filter like Mailwasher. There was another post about a person using Mailwasher to filter spam mentioning a spamcop button. If you are using Mailwasher, that would explain why the all caps emails are being caught. It has nothing to do with the button saying Spamcop. It is being caught by another part of the filter. You should be able to "whitelist" - select your friend's email address as being always acceptable and never tagged as spam. Look in the directions.

If your friend is using an IP address that is on the spamcop blocklist, then if you stop using the spamcop blocklist, you will get a lot of spam. So do try to find the whitelist function.

Miss Betsy

Suddenly, Spamcop appeared on my computer. It began blocking one sender who types in all capitol letters due to near blindness.

SpamCop is not software and it doesn't suddenly appear on computers.

[snip]

How can I set things so that he can continue to send me emails using capitol letters?

Using capital letters is considered rude by most of the Internet but the SCBL doesn't list IPs because the user typed in all caps.

Thanks for an answer.

If email sent to you is bouncing then you need to discuss the problem with your mail admin. Only your email admin can decide which traffic (s)he accepts at the mail server that (s)he runs.

Spamcop did not get on your computer. What gave you that idea?

Looks like 209.240.207.249 has been compromised. It has a virus/worm/hacked system.

209.240.207.249 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported about 2180 times by about 190 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 188.5 days. In the past 200.2 days, it has been listed 14 times for a total of 44.8 days

In the past week, this system has:

Been reported as a source of spam about 10 times

Been detected sending mail to spam traps

Been witnessed sending mail about 110 times

Thank you for all your answers. I am new (3 months) to computer use and perhaps have used some words that can be interpreted in another way.

I was a WebTV user for 5 years.... I know many on that system DO spam others. However, my friend does not. For over 4 years I have been conversing with him utilizing caps/html.

As to getting a virus from the WebTV system...that isn't possible as Webtv users do not have individual harddrives to infect... at least that's been my understanding.

SO, you are telling me that I need to find a 'whitelist' and remove just his addy from that list. Would THAT be on my frontiernet server?

I stated that Spamcop had "gotten" on my computer because his emails have never been attatched before and this just started happening, suddenly, 2 days ago. ( I had never even heard of Spamcop.) I DO seem to receive emails that are only in regular type from him. So that tells me that the use of cap. letters and html is part of the problem. And it appears to not be just the isp #. (???)

Again, thank you for your help in solving this problem.

[snip]

I stated that Spamcop had "gotten" on my computer because his emails have never been attatched before and this just started happening, suddenly, 2 days ago. ( I had never even heard of Spamcop.) I DO seem to receive emails that are only in regular type from him. So that tells me that the use of cap. letters and html is part of the problem. And it appears to not be just the isp #. (???)

Again, thank you for your help in solving this problem.

SpamCop has NOT 'gotten on your computer'.

The SCBL is a database that contains the IP addresses (not email addresses or domain names) that are currently being identified as the origination point of spams that users have received.

Mail admins CHOOSE to consult the SCBL database. Some email admins CHOOSE to use the data to bounce emails, others CHOOSE to use the data to mark emails as potential spam, and other mail admins CHOOSE to divert potential spam to their customer's "HELD MAIL" folder. Whatever they CHOOSE , the decision is theirs. It is NOT a decision made by SpamCop and it is NOT software that is installed on your computer.

Following all of the advice given so far, you should contact your ISP and ask them:

• if they filter spam from your email
  • if they use the spamcop email service to filter your mail
  • if they can whitelist an email address for you or you can do it yourself
  • if their bounce message mentions spamcop blocklist even if that is not the cause

The fact that messages not all in capitals comes through seems to indicate something like SpamAssasin (a content filter) is being used. That could be associated with the spamcop email service being involved, but not the spamcop blocklist.

Good luck and report back here with any further questions or progress. We like to see the problem resolved.

As to getting a virus from the WebTV system...that isn't possible as Webtv users do not have individual harddrives to infect... at least that's been my understanding.

Well if has not been compromised how can these email be coming from that address?

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported about 2180 times by about 190 users

See: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=209.240....lars.org&rnum=1

Oh, BTW, Webtv has many people that ARE spammers and use that mode of getting online. However, Not All are. There are many folks using that because of financial considerations to owning a computer; many of the older generation because it is so easy to use; and it takes up very little space in your home.

These are all reasons why I used it for as long as I did. Even now, I sometimes wish I didn't HAVE to learn as much new stuff as I am struggling to learn! LOL

Thanks again!

Archived