Missing reporting actions and links in SC email

forrie

Since yesterday, the reports I'm sending are going to links that have a reduced web page; as in, there's no buttons or anything to submit reports. Just a brief analysis of the message.

I'm logged in properly, that doesn't appear to be the issue. This also happens on my mobile device (iPhone). It also happens in an anonymous window, ie: from Chrome.

Perhaps I missed a change? I didn't receive any email announcement, etc.

Could someone elaborate on what's going on?

Thanks.

See my post a little bit below. I had the same problem with one repeating spam email. It has a "<title>" tag immediately after a URL and that seems to have messed up the reporting form. To "fix" it I simply insert a single space before the "<title>" tag and that makes the report appear correctly. I've sent a copy of the email in to see if someone can work on the problem.

Generally, I find that tags that appear immediately after a URL cause spamcop to burp but this is the pretty bad because you have no buttons to use to report the spam.

Another user that uses Chrome, reported a similar(?) problem yesterday Unreportable spam - report form truncated

When I report using the web forum everything works fine, witch suggest it may be something on the sender end (in both cases). Something I did notice is that if you "need" to add fule, there is a redirect which may be blocking the report screen, which at the bottom has the "report" button.

Has there been an (automatic) update to Chrome? Or some other action which may have changed defaults which now couses different interaction with SpamCop reporting?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm guessing here. Well, I am. Not being able to duplacate the problem.

Ah, interesting. And, I did notice that.

This is a parsing bug that Spamcop could easily fix. But, I'm betting money that the spammer figured out this trips up the parser.... perhaps. But it could be their own bug.

Here's a sample from today:

Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 16:21:45 -0400
To: [ redacted ], smrosenbaum[at]iw.net, sonidora2000[at]yahoo.fr
Subject: Your friend recommends an article for you: "Making a living online"

Hello We're looking for individuals who are considering working at home online, using just your computer.

Read on, if this is some thing you'd have an interest in.

Learn more at http://XXXX<title>bigbois[at]live.com has shared an article with you</title>

In addition to this bug with Spamcop parsing, it's leaving "Unreported spam" in my queue, which is building up. There doesn't appear to be another way to cancel them.

I contacted SC support and pointed them to this thread. I think this should be a simple parsing/regex fix.

Gentlemen, please be more aware of the impact of including live links that are contained in examples of spam. This forum is highly indexed by search engines and we would not want to support the spammer's efforts.

Thanks.

Another user that uses Chrome, reported a similar(?) problem yesterday Unreportable spam - report form truncated

When I report using the web forum everything works fine, witch suggest it may be something on the sender end (in both cases). Something I did notice is that if you "need" to add fule, there is a redirect which may be blocking the report screen, which at the bottom has the "report" button.

Has there been an (automatic) update to Chrome? Or some other action which may have changed defaults which now couses different interaction with SpamCop reporting?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm guessing here. Well, I am. Not being able to duplacate the problem.

Yes, that was me. You can easily duplicate the problem by copying either the sample that I posted or the one above and pasting into the reporting form. I would be interested in finding out if you get the same result. As I said above I have tried three very different browsers, including Lynx, and get the same result.

Obviously don't actually report the spam samples.

The problem lies in the URL followed immediately by the title tag. It throws the parser off apparently.

And, forrie, just click the "Remove unreported spam" link on the report form, that will remove these from your report queue.

Yes I tried yesterday. The test did not provide any information because our (yours and mine) mailhost are setup differently, and the parser failed there.

It looks like you correctly idenified the problem, independent of the browser used. I was writing my comment above as you posted the the correct answer.

Think you for notifing Don.

That's interesting. I wouldn't expect mailhost differences to affect the parsing of the email body but so be it.

Maybe fixing this will fix the general problem that I see with URLs followed immediately by any HTML tag. This instance just seems to have the strongest effect.

Because of the mailhost configuration, the parser could not get through the header, its first priority. Having failed with the header the parser never looked at the body.

Well that is my guess at how things worked out, looking at the results.

Archived