Spoofing Spamcop emails?

I've been getting bounced spoof emails supposedly from my Spamcop email account, and I'm certainly not sending viruses and don't have a spam trojan running, as I only send mail from a Mac with an up to date virus scanner when I'm not using webmail.

Is there any way these can be reported and traced to the machine that actually sent them, because they all get through the spam filter, and I don't want my Spamcop account blacklisted, or cancelled if I was accused of using it to spam people.

Thanks!

Not sure if I understand. You say you do have a SpamCop e-mail account, which sort of implies you've probably used the SpamCop reporting tool somewhere along the line. If this is true, then you'd have surely noted by now that the parsing tool doesn't take much notice of the From: line in the spam .... It's the tracking of the spam spew down to it's origination point based on an IP address that most SpamCop users enjoy. Can you recall the last time you reported a spam and the e-mail address of the "sender" was used to target a complaint report?

I've been getting bounced spoof emails supposedly from my Spamcop email account, and I'm certainly not sending viruses and don't have a spam trojan running, as I only send mail from a Mac with an up to date virus scanner when I'm not using webmail. 

Is there any way these can be reported and traced to the machine that actually sent them, because they all get through the spam filter, and I don't want my Spamcop account blacklisted, or cancelled if I was accused of using it to spam people.

Thanks!

...You are allowed to use the SpamCop.net parser to determine the source of the spam so you can manually report but you may not actually Send the SpamCop.net spam reports (so be sure to Cancel them once you have copied all the relevant information).

There doesn't seem to be any header information for the originating message, just from the server that rejected it, at least on the ones that are just bouncing back spam, and not viruses. The ones with viruses we're not even supposed to report, correct?

If someone received a spoofed spam from me and reported it on SpamCop, it'd trace the actual origin, but am I likely to be reported any other way that wouldn't necessarily identify the original sender that could lead to me being booted by SpamCop?

Or if SpamCop receives a report that an email account holder is using it to spam, do they run the submitted spam through their own system to determine if it's a spoof or not?

Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be any header information for the originating message, just from the server that rejected it, at least on the ones that are just bouncing back spam, and not viruses.

What you get depends on how the bouncing system isconfigured .. some will just generate a bounce message, some will re-package the entire e-mail and return the whole package.

The ones with viruses we're not even supposed to report, correct?

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/14.html says no.

If someone received a spoofed spam from me and reported it on SpamCop, it'd trace the actual origin, but am I likely to be reported any other way that wouldn't necessarily identify the original sender that could lead to me being booted by SpamCop?

You may be reported (?) or receive complaints from those clueless enough to believe that it came from 'you' .. basing that belief on 'your' name/address being in the From: field. But most folks with the power to knock you about would most likely have a bit more wisdom and recognize that it was a forgery.

Or if SpamCop receives a report that an email account holder is using it to spam, do they run the submitted spam through their own system to determine if it's a spoof or not?

The SpamCop tool set doesn't deal with e-mail addresses, only the IP address of the incoming spew or the spamvertized web-site, though the way you phrase the question, I'm not sure you're really cognizant of just what SpamCop does.

• 2 weeks later...

The SpamCop tool set doesn't deal with e-mail addresses, only the IP address of the incoming spew or the spamvertized web-site, though the way you phrase the question, I'm not sure you're really cognizant of just what SpamCop does.

What I actually meant is if someone *not* using the Spamcop system reported a spoof spam originating from a SpamCop address, by the typical forwarding to abuse[at] whatever method, would SpamCop check IPs and whatnot, or just immediately suspect the account holder? (Comparing SpamCop to the way ISPs handle reports of people abusing their system)

What I actually meant is if someone *not* using the Spamcop system reported a spoof spam originating from a SpamCop address, by the typical forwarding to abuse[at] whatever method, would SpamCop check IPs and whatnot, or just immediately suspect the account holder?  (Comparing SpamCop to the way ISPs handle reports of people abusing their system)

Let me repeat:

But most folks with the power to knock you about would most likely have a bit more wisdom and recognize that it was a forgery. And the folks that would receive/review the complaint at SpamCop HQ do have a bit of experience analyzing headers of e-mails.

Archived