What if I have better whois information?

edr077

OK, either I'm stupid or something is missing from the FAQ (i know, probably the former).

Let's say I submit spam:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z494422750ze1...c3772317085dd4z

and the only reporting address for the origination netrange is no good (bounces or is a nic or something):

I refuse to bother hostmaster[at]nic.ad.jp.

Using hostmaster#nic.ad.jp[at]devnull.spamcop.net for statistical tracking.

I do a little digging (on jpnic in this case), and come up with one that appears correct?

db-admin[at]ocn.ad.jp

Isn't this information useful? Is there someone I can send it to so that spamcop is updated with this info?

I just had a look at your reports from the link you give, and they include:

Reportid: 1025193000 To: db-admin[at]ocn.ad.jp

Which is the result you wanted. Your reporting was more effective that you thought, perhaps?

Maybe there's somewhere in the SC newsgroups where issues like report routing are routinely discussed.

This was reported because I added it as a user-selected report...

Reportid: 1025193000 To: db-admin[at]ocn.ad.jp

...by default SpamCop would *not* have known anything about that address.

I should clarify one thing... in this case, "db-admin[at]ocn.ad.jp" may not be a great example, it sounds fishy. But, in other cases, I have found explicit whois addr-comments which say something to the affect "for abuse issues, contact abuse[at]<some other hostname>".

Is there someone I can send it to so that spamcop is updated with this info?

There's a bit of a philosphical problem in the air right now on this. These web-based Forums were originally put in place for those that were generally of more non-technical types. Thus, this area was supposed to be oriented towards the not-quite-so-technical issues, questions, and answers.

The correct answer to your query is to point you to the newsgroups, specifically news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.routing and point out that you need to provide the supporting data that would reflect the "better" target. However, there was just another Topic started here recently that contained this exact guidance, even pointing out that the Deputies don't usually hit here until they're done with most everything else on their table .... only to be surprised by a Deputy posting a few minutes later in that Topic that the post was read and acted upon.

The description of this Help Forum is to focus on users having problems with the Reporting system. Your query branches out a bit from this, i.e., the reporting system took your spam and processed it, but now you're wanting to get into technical issues of the results. At best, perhaps I'll ask that you also take a look at a posting in the Lounge area (one of which is the Why am I Blocked FAQ) which currently includes the request for input on expanding the Forum listings to include other areas of discussion needed to keep the questions, answers, and issues a bit more organized. And having already been 'here' and seeing the problem in finding where to look, where to post, perhaps you'll provide your opinion there?

The correct answer to your query is to point you to the newsgroups, specifically news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.routing and point out that you need to provide the supporting data that would reflect the "better" target. However, there was just another Topic started here recently that contained this exact guidance, even pointing out that the Deputies don't usually hit here until they're done with most everything else on their table .... only to be surprised by a Deputy posting a few minutes later in that Topic that the post was read and acted upon.

Well I promise to never do that again or hardly ever -- it happened to be an issue that hooked into something I was already looking at so I made the change whilst passing thru -- for documentation reasons I do not, except in extremely rare cases, act on any routing issues that come up in the forums and do not expect to change that. I may on very very rare occasions post here that a route has been changed.

So yes, if you have a routing issue you need to post it in the NNTP newsgroup called routing.

Archived