beginner needs help!

clot

Report "EVERY" piece of spam you receive. With numbers between 65% and 80% (depending on what survey you read) of all email being spam this has become an epidemic and everyone who sends this crap needs to be sterilized.

The people that send spam are lower than pondsum.

Report em all :P

Thanks for that, I'll be here a while then!

Before you burn yourself out, remember that you don't need to report anything. Every little bit helps, and if you have time to report 100+ messages a day, then by all means do so. I drove myself crazy and almost gave up reporting (and made myself late for work several times!) by thinking that I had to report each and every spam that I got. A post by Miss Betsy knocked some sense into me when she said "report what you have time for, and delete the rest."

Don't drive yourself crazy. Concentrate on fighting the good fight and then go outside and enjoy some sun...

Concentrate on fighting the good fight and then go outside and enjoy some sun...

Or get a laptop with a wirless connecion and do both ;)

That is what I do.. My laptop is out on the back porch (wireless connection) while I watch the kids in the pool. ;)

The most important spam to report if you only want to report some spam, is the spam that makes it through the blacklist.  Usually that is about 2 a day for me, with the blacklist stopping about 30 a day.

I think this philosophy is behind the return of spammers through unblocked IPs!

The most important spam to report if you only want to report some spam, is the spam that makes it through the blacklist.  Usually that is about 2 a day for me, with the blacklist stopping about 30 a day.

I think this philosophy is behind the return of spammers through unblocked IPs!

Can you explain more of what you mean?

Do you mean that by only reporting the spam that gets through the blacklist, a person is helping a spammer?

Thanks.

My impression is that blacklists are only maintained for the duration spam goes through those IPs. I may be totally wrong on that issue, so I am also awaiting an answer.

Ahh... hence the reasoning for continually reporting spam once it is on the blacklist. Which I do because I can do a quick report for the spam that has been stopped.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you mean that by only reporting the spam that gets through the blacklist, a person is helping a spammer?

You're talking about the timer for the automatic de-listing of an IP from the BL. If no one reports the continuing spew, that once-blocked IP will age off the BL, then you'll see the posts asking why the heck the spam is showing up again from the same spammer they've been reporting for "months" .... Reporting an item that's already on the BL restarts the timer on that IP, thus keeping it blocked for a bit longer ..

Archived