Invision Power Board

brucewagner

This is only about my third or fourth visit to spamcop's web-based forums since you've been using this Invision Power Board.... but.....

I am very impressed by it.

I love the interface.

Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

Can someone please tell me the details about Invision.... Is it software you're running on your own server, or is it an outsourced service served by Invision's servers? What are the approximate costs involved for an individual who wanted to host his own forum(s)? Also, is spellcheck an optional feature?

This is only about my third or fourth visit to spamcop's web-based forums since you've been using this Invision Power Board.... but.....

I am very impressed by it.

I love the interface.

Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

Can someone please tell me the details about Invision.... Is it software you're running on your own server, or is it an outsourced service served by Invision's servers?  What are the approximate costs involved for an individual who wanted to host his own forum(s)?  Also, is spellcheck an optional feature?

Bruce,

It's software we're running on our own servers. You can check it out for yourself a http://www.invisionboard.com. They also do hosted boards if you just want to let them host it.

We'll have a spell-checker soon. I'm waiting until we're 100% sure we're going to use Invision before I pay for it.

I'm glad you like it. OTOH, at least one person has told me it's so confusing they could barely use it.

JT

I can't imagine how it could be simpler....

Anyway, how much does it cost for them to host a forum for you? (approximately)

It would be simpler if it was NNTP :D

Would also be nice if it added the posters IP.

Yes, I prefer the threading of NNTP, but will deal with it. We'll probably see less messages straying off-topic!

I, too, would also like to be able to see the IP address of the poster.

I have the poster's IP's. People are required to sign up with a legit email address and all IP's are logged. But I think it's reasonable that these aren't advertised to the world.

JT

I have the poster's IP's. People are required to sign up with a legit email address and all IP's are logged. But I think it's reasonable that these aren't advertised to the world.

JT

That is one of good parts of the newsgroup. You could see the posting IP (on most) and once in a while it was very helpful.

Call me stupid....

But why would the average reader ever need the poster's IP address (question mark) (this keyboard in this cafe sucks)

Call me stupid....

But why would the average reader ever need the poster's IP address?

Because about 50% of the people that say they are listed don't give the IP in question. Having their IP available at least allows people a little bit to go on to help the person...

Because about 50% of the people that say they are listed don't give the IP in question.  Having their IP available at least allows people a little bit to go on to help the person...

Well, a person's IP address is rarely the same as the IP of the mailserver that's blocked. Yeah, we might be able to figure out or deduce some blocked IP, but that would be hard without the user's email address which you don't have, either.

I think it's best just to ask what it is. If they can't provide it, it's doubtful they would be able to do anything meaningful about being blocked, anyway.

JT

Well, a person's IP address is rarely the same as the IP of the mailserver that's blocked. Yeah, we might be able to figure out or deduce some blocked IP, but that would be hard without the user's email address which you don't have, either.

I think it's best just to ask what it is. If they can't provide it, it's doubtful they would be able to do anything meaningful about being blocked, anyway.

Point taken.

• 2 weeks later...

I, for one, am having a bit of trouble figuring out one or two of the icons the interface offers. The one most intriguing right now is the one among the instant messenger buttons called "PM". I'm no IM user (by choice), and consequently I believe that I'm not up to speed on what they're all called. Indeed, it isn't even clear to me that PM is even an IM at all.

So ... what is it?

Thanks! :)

I, for one, am having a bit of trouble figuring out one or two of the icons the interface offers. The one most intriguing right now is the one among the instant messenger buttons called "PM". I'm no IM user (by choice), and consequently I believe that I'm not up to speed on what they're all called. Indeed, it isn't even clear to me that PM is even an IM at all.

So ... what is it?

Thanks!  :)

The "PM" button allows you to send a "Personal Message" using a simple messaging system internal to this instance of Power Board. Think of it as webmail on a domainless intranet. When you have one or more Personal Message(s) waiting for you and you do something to cause Power Board to send you a web page, "0 New Messages" on the third bar above will change to reflect that quantity.

"Complaints to the Moderator" about inappropriate behavior should be directed to me via Personal Message if you don't want to make them publicly.

Suggestions for Topic Splits, Moves, etc. are best made within the Topics so that an Acting Moderator (I, a Deputy, or an Admin) can make more informed decisions, and then implement and explain those decisions within the Topics.

Call me stupid....

But why would the average reader ever need the poster's IP address (question mark) (this keyboard in this cafe sucks)

On other systems, when I've seen IP addresses auto posted next to the posters forum userid, I figured it to be a gesture toward non-anonymity.

Archived