spam Flood

kluless

"Anyone else having this trouble? "  Not currently.  Like you my volume of spam has a "floor" level and there are times when in short burst I get 5-10 times as much trash in my inbox.  By definition those burst come and go.  Given the large number of spam sources, each cycling through spam clients and CDs of email addresses, the result is a "background" level of spam. Like other examples of background noise, there are random periods of higher levels.

My floor level is 'a bit higher' than yours, but then I have used the same email address sense the mid-80's, and I have all spam filters turned off so to report all examples.  This approach did irritate someone once. My peak spam was several hundred/hour in long burst for two days.  Did through lots of those in the trash.

Its a bit suspiciously quiet for me, It feels a bit like someone has been running a chainsaw nearby and all day and then suddenly stopped.

I wonder if the data from aggregated spamcop reports could identify which spamcop users are on which spam lists and if there's any common features of the list/source information 

On 15/09/2016 at 0:31 PM, kluless said:

Since last weekend I've been receiving around 10 times the amount of spam on my Yahoo account, it's gone up from 4 or 5 a day to 30-40 each day. Anyone else having this trouble?

Yes - with a BT account.

This morning, Spamcop seems swamped, making manual submissions impractical - Spamcop submissions usually take only a few seconds, but are currently much longer ("Waiting for members.spamcop.net" 10x ?) and occasionally timing out ("An error occurred while processing your request" also "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request").

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.9.2016 at 4:32 AM, spinner said:

I wonder if the data from aggregated spamcop reports could identify which spamcop users are on which spam lists and if there's any common features of the list/source information 

When a report is submitted the email address is 'munged', but is that only the address in the header? Some spammers also include the recipient's address in the body of their spam...

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's inbox has been flooded with something called RightNews every two hours for the past month. 

Originating IPs are 64.21.76.101 & 64.21.76.119

They appear to be on bullet proof hosting and are evidently white listed by someone at SpamCop.

As they say, 'must be your turn in the barrel.'  I have noticed over the years that the volume and type of spam like the weather changes.  For me the last few days have been 'male drugs.'  It has been a while sense I received ray-ban offers or student loan spam.  Like the tide the volume comes and goes.  I think it all depends on which CD list of email addresses, spammers choose to put in the drive and who is paying to send out the trash.

There is evidence of  bullet proof spammer hosts, but not of a SpamCop  white list.  Keep in mind SpamCop itself does not block or close down a spammer. Only the ISP that the spammer use to send email can close them down. Only you/your ISP can block the spam coming to your inbox.  The spam reports send for you by SpamCop let host know what their clients are doing in the hope that the spammer will be stopped.  The block list that your submitted spam helps develop is used by email hosts to help filter incoming email. 

Archived