Spam vs. Virus

Seriously -- I can't be bothered to sort out how all of this form works. I could care less. All I want to say is that I received an e-mail that is clearly spam -- it's subject line reads " Greets! I offer you full base of accounts with passwords of mail server yahoo.com. Here is archive with small part of it. You can see that all information is real. If you want to buy full base, please reply me... ". I do not know the sender, nor have I requested any e-mail or information on this subject. When I sent this e-mail in as spam, the processor chided me for sending in a virus. My very up-to-date virus protection was not activated by this e-mail, so how am I to know the difference? As far as I'm concerned, this e-mail is spam! I love your service. I love thinking that I'm advancing the cause against spam by sending in any spam that I receive and notifying network administrators about it. However, my main complaint continues to be that customer service is TOO ORIENTED TO GEEKS! As I'm indicating -- I didn't want to register in order to complain, nor am I writing down my user name, etc. I DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF THING! I don't want to post a new topic! I don't want to deal with remembering user names, password, etc., just to try to resolve a problem!

Based on your remarks, perhaps you'd rather head off to news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop and try that method of posting for help. The intent of starting this web-based thing was for those that thought trying to figure out how to use NNTP was too "geeky" and difficult.

The reason for registering was to hopefully cut down on the drive-by idiots and spammers .. unfortunately, that hasn't always worked .. it was just last week that a "charter" user posted his/her "stuff a dollar into an envelope and move your name up on the list" spam in here ... geeze ...

As far as what can and cannot be reported, I can only send you to the FAQ at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/125.html

That support is oriented towards geeks, I can only point out that the support here and in the newsgroups is primarily offered by other users. I suppose that's because when questions are asked, only those that have been around for a while have the answers. (This is assuming that you have been to and read the FAQs and Pinned items before venting your anger?)

I really don't have a need to know your name, but if you actually want help, you do need to "play along" at least a little bit.If you don't want to "post a new topic", you could have looked around a while, done some reading, and absorbed what others have posted about your situation. But, I'm also stuck on your "DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF THING!" statement. Does that also mean that I'm wasting my time by responding at all here?

I didn't want to register in order to complain, nor am I writing down my user name, etc.  I DON'T WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF THING!  I don't want to post a new topic!  I don't want to deal with remembering user names, password, etc., just to try to resolve a problem!

No point in replying then I guess... :huh:

Andrew

If you don't want to deal with it, just delete it.

Viruses are not reportable as spam. If your virus checker did not catch it, it may be a new version.

Actually, if you want to be a good netizen, it is a good idea to use spamcop to find the correct addresses to report to, cancel the report, and then report on your own. You do not need to include the entire email - just the headers.

However, that does mean that you learn a little something about how to find the headers (geeky stuff).

I am techncially non-fluent (non-geek). However, I have learned enough about the concepts of how email works to be a good reporter. An analogy might be the emission controls on automobiles. If I wanted to report cars that were polluting our air, I would have to learn a little bit more about how emission controls work than I know now. It would still help to report obvious cars belching black smoke, but even then, some diesel engines /look/ awful, but are in compliance. Beyond that, at my knowledge level right now, I would have to let some cars go by.

And that's what you may have to do - let some spam just go unreported if it is beyond the knowledge level that you have. Every little bit helps so what you can report is worthwhile.

Miss Betsy

If you think these forums (and I might add that nearly every software and/or service provider company in the world by now uses some sort of forum system for support) are too difficult, maybe you should try the newsgroups and see how well your rant goes over there...

Archived