Outgoing mail address question

Embarrassed newbie here--cannot even nav through the forums well...sigh.

Okay, here's my "boggle":

1. i have an email filtering account. I have the POP configured for SC to go to my ISP and POPout the emails. (NOT the 'forwarding option') That works fine, and i have Outlook check SC mail servers and that all comes in fine.

2. my problem is that i cannot SEND with my old ISP address. When i configure the SMTP-out for SC, i use the SMTP server for my ISP (as per instructions), but that requires my ISP.com, and they wont take the SC.com address i use for the POP. Nothing's getting OUT.

I want to be able to respond to sc-popped email using my REGULAR eID[at]ISP.com, and NOT my eID[at]spamcop.com... i cannot use the service without being able to respond from my public ISP address...

(I use Outlook 2000 SP3).

i am sure someone else has had this issue--can someone point me to the relevant discussion??? thanks SO MUCH.

2. my problem is that i cannot SEND with my old ISP address. When i configure the SMTP-out for SC, i use the SMTP server for my ISP (as per instructions), but that requires my ISP.com, and they wont take the SC.com address i use for the POP. Nothing's getting OUT.

No one else has offered anything, so here's a shot. First of all, the identification of your ISP might help bring focus to an answer. (or maybe no help at all?)

What methods might your ISP be taking to prevent relaying? For instance, there may be an authentication mode that can be configured to allow your e-mail to go out ... Some ISP's use a POP before SMTP (usually with a time-out limit) .. such that you "login" to read your e-mail, then that "connection" is used to validate SMTP use for a short while. Others use an actual "authentication" for using the SMTP engine at their end (again, basically logging in to prove that it really is you) ... I see another option under OE that might also apply .. needing to login using a "Secure password authentication" ... At any rate, if we go with that you have supplied the correct address information, perhaps it's one of these other bits that needs to be flipped? I can't say for sure, but I would think that these options would surely be available.

I have heard of ISP's requiring the Envelope-From to be the ISP address for the same reason. I have never had an ISP that did it that way and I don't use Outlook which is why I have been quiet on this one.

I have access to Outlook at work, so I will see if I can find the magic combination.

I created an account that looks like it might work, at least we can start there. ANything in capitals you should enter your information.

Display Name:  YOUR NAME
E-Mail address:  ADDRESS[at]ISP
Server:  	pop3
Incoming server:	pop.spamcop.net
Outgoing server:	SMTP.ISP.SERVER
Account name:  ACCOUNT[at]spamcop.net
Password:  Spamcop password

• 4 weeks later...

Some ISP's only let you 'send' out as certain email addresses - usually the one they gave you!

Obviously this causes major headaches if you have your own domain name or want to use _any_ other email address.

Try contact them and see if they will allow other addresses - but failing sign up with one of the public authenticated SMTP mail services. I use AuthSMTP because they would let me use my own email addresses and allowed a reasonable message 'size' (I need to send fairly large attachments).

Hope you get it sorted!

Archived