Unjustified blockings

Hello,

If have just gotten aware of the fact that my company's email server has been blocked by spam cop. This has happened immidiately after sending out our weekly newsletter. What criterias do you have for adding a mailserver to your blocked list, and don't you have some sort of recognization of the reports being false?

The fact is, that if you just take all reports of spam for granted, then sending out newsletters will be made impossible by services like yours. GRANTED we mostlikely have individuals on our mailing lists who don't remember signing up, who's email adresses has been entered by friends or who didn't realize that it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service. But these individuals complaints, truely shouldn't count towards being blocked by your spam filter. When you hve approx. 36.000 individuals on your newsletter list, then it's very likely to see at least 1% who don't recognize having signed up for the newsletter. That's a lot of complaints if just half of them complain. What is your attitude towards this? Should it be impossible to send out newsletters in the future, thanks to services like yours?

And please answer in this forum because I can't answer any emails, thanks to the fact that you blocked our email server.

Kind regards,

Simon Secher

Kenturi Internet Services

Blocked emailserver: gsminside.com / kenturi.com

Fist of all Spamcop does not block anything. The person you are sending your email to or their ISP/Email Administrator is blocking you. Spamcop just maintains a list of IP addresses that have been reported for spamming.

Let see:

Resolved gsminside.com to 69.10.138.128

[gsminside.com has 1 MX record mail.gsminside.com.(10)]

Resolved mail.gsminside.com to 69.10.138.128

69.10.138.128 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

Resolved kenturi.com to 69.10.138.198

[kenturi.com has 1 MX record mail.kenturi.com.(10)]

Resolved mail.kenturi.com to 69.10.138.198

69.10.138.198 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

If you want help then post the Block/Reject message or the IP you "think" is blocked.

Only those ISPs who use the spamcop bl to block email instead of tag it will be returning your email. I would receive your email because unfortunately, my ISP doesn't use spamcop. Spamcop email service users would receive it because spamcop email service tags the email from IP addresses on the blocklist.

In order to help you, your IP address has to be known. Although as you are aware, it is probably your bad mailing practices that have gotten you in trouble.

You should read the pinned FAQ about Mailing Practices.

Most people who send newsletters use confirmed subscription and have few problems. Any true mistakes are quickly cleared up and are part of the job of being a newsletter publisher. There are always people who do not read the instructions and are careless.

If it is really the newsletter that is causing the problem, then your IP address should age off the bl within a maximum of 48 hours. In the meantime, you should know, if you read the Why Am I blocked FAQ, that you can always use hotmail to communicate with those you have to in that time.

Miss Betsy

Hi, Simon,

Hello,

If have just gotten aware of the fact that my company's email server has been blocked by spam cop. This has happened immidiately after sending out our weekly newsletter. What criterias do you have for adding a mailserver to your blocked list, and don't you have some sort of recognization of the reports being false?

...SpamCop relies on admins against whom malicious reports have been filed to complain: FAQ: I have been falsely and/or maliciously accused of spamming, what can I do?.

The fact is, that if you just take all reports of spam for granted, then sending out newsletters will be made impossible by services like  yours. GRANTED we mostlikely have individuals on our mailing lists who don't remember signing up, who's email adresses has been entered by friends or who didn't realize that it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service. But these individuals complaints, truely shouldn't count towards being blocked by your spam filter. When you hve approx. 36.000 individuals on your newsletter list, then it's very likely to see at least 1% who don't recognize having signed up for the newsletter. That's a lot of complaints if just half of them complain. What is your attitude towards this? Should it be impossible to send out newsletters in the future, thanks to services like yours?

<snip>

...Thank you for the good news that SpamCop is working as it should!

...FYI, here are links to the "pinned FAQ about Mailing Practices" referred to by Miss Betsy:

...Good luck!

GRANTED we mostlikely have individuals on our mailing lists who don't remember signing up, who's email adresses has been entered by friends or who didn't realize that it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service. But these individuals complaints, truely shouldn't count towards being blocked by your spam filter.

Your mailing list should be a closed loop unique token confirmed opt in mailing list. Meaning that someone must submit their address. Your system sends an email with a unique token. The user must confirm either by mail or web, with that token, that they do wish to be subscribed. If you run a mailing list where people can sign up other people without their permission, your mailing list will be used to abuse others.

The legality of the mailing list is not at issue here.

SpamCop only maintains a list of IP addresses that have been reported, by the receivers of the mail, to have sent unsolicited bulk mail.

You could have started by reading the Pinned item Why am I Blocked - Please read before Posting

The fact is, that if you just take all reports of spam for granted, then sending out newsletters will be made impossible by services like  yours.

The SpamCop parser is just a tool. The ultimate responsibility is actually with the reporter using this tool. Inappropriate use can result in fines and or banishment.

GRANTED we mostlikely have individuals on our mailing lists who don't remember signing up, who's email adresses has been entered by friends or who didn't realize that it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service.

That you include some who might have forgotten along with some who may not have subscribed, then add in a group that (though you state that you feel it is legal) may not desire your "words of wonder" suggests that you actually have issues with the way you seem to be running your e-mail address list.

But these individuals complaints, truely shouldn't count towards being blocked by your spam filter. When you hve approx. 36.000 individuals on your newsletter list, then it's very likely to see at least 1% who don't recognize having signed up for the newsletter. That's a lot of complaints if just half of them complain. What is your attitude towards this? Should it be impossible to send out newsletters in the future, thanks to services like yours?

"These individual complaints" is what the SpamCop tool-set is all about. The actual (last-known) threshold was actually 2%, based on a mathematical formula that includes items such as spam complaints, e-mail traffic seen, spamtrap hits, and time. What makes SpamCop unique is that de-listing can occur quickly, again, based on the results of the formula. Without the IP in question, there's no one here that can look at your specific issue.

And please answer in this forum because I can't answer any emails, thanks to the fact that you blocked our email server.

Ask here, get answers here. Your grandiose statement of not being able to "answer an e-mails" is a bit absurd, as pointed out elsewhere, SpamCop blocks nothing (actually only Tagging for its own filtered e-mail service users) .. and any rejections you see would be from other ISPs that have chosen to use the SpamCopDNSbl as a rejection tool, something suggested against in SpamCop's own documentation.

As others here have stated the following part of your description shows that the listing may not be unjustified as you state:

who's email adresses has been entered by friends or who didn't realize that it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service.

If someone signs my email address up for a newsletter, it will be reported as spam becuase they do not have the right to use my email address. If you want to persue them for damaged caused, that is your right.

I would like to see the law where "it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service" quoted please as I would like to investigate that.

I carefully read all security policies on any web site that I am thinking of using and make sure I do not sign up for any newsletters during the process. If I then receive a newsletter, I will usually complain very loudly to the customer server department and, depending on how long I have had the item, have returned merchandise for such an act. If I continue to receive the information I did not request, I report them.

From the SpamCop FAQ

For SpamCop, spam must be:

unsolicited (I didn't request it), and

automated/bulk (this same email was sent to many people at once).

Basically it is the Unsolicited part that could be getting you in trouble.

Hello,

The reports were not false. If you sent your newsletter to persons who did not request it then you are spamming.

The fact is, that if you just take all reports of spam for granted, then sending out newsletters will be made impossible by services like  yours.

How? Spamcop does not block anything.

GRANTED we mostlikely have individuals on our mailing lists who don't remember signing up, who's email adresses has been entered by friends or who didn't realize that it is legal by european law, to send our newsletters to customers that have purchased a product or service.

You're wrong about European law but it does not matter as there is no law anywhere against blocking. Also your IP address is a Rackforce IP which is located in Canada. Since when did Canada reside in Europe? If you are sending your crap to US. citizens then your law does not apply but US law does. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

But these individuals complaints, truely shouldn't count towards being blocked by your spam filter. When you hve approx. 36.000 individuals on your newsletter list, then it's very likely to see at least 1% who don't recognize having signed up for the newsletter. That's a lot of complaints if just half of them complain. What is your attitude towards this? Should it be impossible to send out newsletters in the future, thanks to services like yours?

This service does not block anything. Newsletters that do not use "confirmed opt-in" deserve what they get.

I did twice. You still fail to answer. Like I said, spamcop blocks nothing. Evidently persons you are sending your newsletter to have not requested it and they have reported you for the error of your ways.

There is no sign that he/she ever came back to read the replies!

And if they did come back to read and decided not to post because of the "temperature" here, how exactly would you, I, or anyone know that unless we happened to notice the users screen name at the bottom of the screen? The profile does not track a last visit time.

Archived