What's The Point?

bobarnowitt

We've probably reported Kornet, Chinanet and Hanaro for example, HUNDREDS of times. I'm sure many other Spamcop users have done the same.

It seems pretty obvious that these three in particular are serial spammers. So my question is, "what's the point?" OBVIOUSLY these folks couldn't care less. My uneducated guess is that "our" Spamcop reports are simply deleted automatically upon receipt.

What have I accomplished? What have YOU (fellow Spamcop users) accomplished? What has Spamcop accomplished?

The same exact garbage from this same exact trio, just keeps coming and coming and coming.

Am I missing something?

We've probably reported Kornet, Chinanet and Hanaro for example, HUNDREDS of times.  I'm sure many other Spamcop users have done the same.

It seems pretty obvious that these three in particular are serial spammers.  So my question is, "what's the point?"  OBVIOUSLY these folks couldn't care less. My uneducated guess is that "our" Spamcop reports are simply deleted automatically upon receipt.

What have I accomplished?  What have YOU (fellow Spamcop users) accomplished? What has Spamcop accomplished? 

The same exact garbage from this same exact trio, just keeps coming and coming and coming.

Am I missing something?

Hi, Bob,

...Please see Miss Betsy's reply in Lounge thread "Useless reporting...".

We've probably reported Kornet, Chinanet and Hanaro for example, HUNDREDS of times.  I'm sure many other Spamcop users have done the same.

It seems pretty obvious that these three in particular are serial spammers.  So my question is, "what's the point?"  OBVIOUSLY these folks couldn't care less. My uneducated guess is that "our" Spamcop reports are simply deleted automatically upon receipt.

What have I accomplished?  What have YOU (fellow Spamcop users) accomplished? What has Spamcop accomplished? 

Am I missing something?

Well it at least keeps them on the blocklist.

You must have a lot of free time .  :-)

Can't tell from that if you are satisfied with any of the responses, got any help, .. much less who you are talking about/to ..

If your ISP or you used one of several products that used the SpamCopDNSbl, then you'd be on the end of something that would show the results of your reporting these sites .. i.e., your incoming spam could have some "management" applied ... or if you used the SpamCop Filtered E-Mail account, again, you'd see the benefit .... If none of the above are true, then yes, in the cases you cite, you aren't receiving any direct benefit from those reports, you're just helping others "avoid" that spew .... But the issue here isn't that SpamCop is broken, it's that there are some really bad ISPs out there.

The day is coming when some of the big providers (msn. comcast, yahoo) are going to simply close the pipeline from the big rogue ISP's in China and Korea, after which heads will roll in Asia and a major "attitude adjustment" will take place.

So far the biggies have wanted to "be diplomatic" - but with spam on some days reaching close to 90 per cent of traffic, they are finally realizing what we've known for years -- the only way to shut the bastards down is to cut then off from the "legitimate" internet and from communicating with that huge, wealthy American market.

In both China and Korea the governments are actively involved in economic development strategy. They won't put up with behaviour that leads to an international e-mail firewall around their respective countries.

It's just too bad that the biggies were too short-sighted and too cowardly to do this years ago.

The day is coming when some of the big providers (msn. comcast, yahoo) are going to simply close the pipeline from the big rogue ISP's in China and Korea, after which heads will roll in Asia and a major "attitude adjustment" will take place.

In both China and Korea the governments are actively involved in economic development strategy.  They won't put up with behaviour that leads to an international e-mail firewall around their respective countries.

So i'm guessing even though 1/2 of all spam comes from the US, the China and Korea connection is that of hijacked systems overseas that American spammers are using?

In both China and Korea the governments are actively involved in economic development strategy.  They won't put up with behaviour that leads to an international e-mail firewall around their respective countries.

So i'm guessing even though 1/2 of all spam comes from the US, the China and Korea connection is that of hijacked systems overseas that American spammers are using?

...Well, what I typically see is a lot of very similar e-mails, at least one of which comes from a US IP address and another from Europe, Mexico, South America, or Asia. So I would think, yes, it's mostly spam from US sources using compromised or spam-friendly machines outside of the US. In fact, I would say from what I see that the 50% is way low!

Archived