Why are friends blocked?

frs26

Recently some friends that I correspond with on a regular basis have been blocked. The email notification that was sent to me contained a link which led me to SpamCop. I do not and have not ever subscribed to this service. I haven't even heard of it before now. I contacted my provider, which is Patriot Media. They told me that they were not using this or any other service to block emails. I use a Macintosh Computer running OSX - my mail program is called just plain Mail and my browser is Safari. I've checked my preferences and found nothing that indicates that the program itself is blocking normal correspondence. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

If you were sending this message and received the bounce back, it indicates that some entity (ISP or third party) who handles the email for your friends uses the spamcop bl to filter messages from IPs that have sent spam. It could also be bounced for another reason with a poorly constructed error message.

This does not mean you have spammed. IF the IP you use to send is shared by others (you use your ISP's mail server), then it is likely another of their customers has sent spam.

We would need the IP address being rejected (from the error message) to do further checking.

Thanks for answering so promptly. Unfortunately, my wife deleted the emails that contained the links and error message. Only 2 or 3 friends have been blocked so far. Others seem to get through to us. As soon as one of the "undeliverable" messages shows up I'll be glad to post it.

Regards,

Frank

Only 2 or 3 friends have been blocked so far. Others seem to get through to us.

This might just be symantics, but the answers are completely different for the folllowing 2 cases.

The first sentence indicates you are sending the original message. The second sentence indicates you are receiving the original message.

I contacted my provider, which is Patriot Media

This is very bad news, I'm afraid. I looked up Patriot media (patmedia.net) in Senderbase. They have dozens of mailservers listed, of the first 20, 19 are on one or more block-lists, mostly for being in dynamic address space. Many more have spam reports. I found one on the spamcop blocklist last night (GMT). I couldn't be bothered to check the other 50 or so. It appears that Patriot Media are either (i) incapabale of controlling or (ii) disinclined to control the spam-spew from their servers, or to set up proper severs on static IP's. Most likely there are thousands of trojanned machines on their network and they are not pulling the plug on them.

frs26, if you stick with these guys you will most likely keep coming across this problem - you are using a spam-friendly / spam-incompetent ISP and receiving ISP's are quite within their rights to refuse mail from them. You just got caught in the crossfire. If you wish to avoid future problems switch to a 'white-hat' provider, and soon...

Archived