Ellen's Concerns (was No help needed - right now)

Ellen

well good - I need help :-) How does one see a list of all the posts in a topic and which ones I have read and not read? i.e. I am looking for a tree structure with the ones I haven't read in bold (or red or italics or blinkies or something) ...

Ellen

<do I even have a clue as to where this is going to post? no -- is there a way to see what I am replying to?>

well good - I need help :-) How does one see a list of all the posts in a topic

Click on the name of a Topic to see that Topic with all of the Posts below.

In a larger sense, click on the name of a Forum to see all of the Topics in that Forum.

and which ones I have read and not read?

Read Topics show with light blue envelopes, whereas unread Topics show with darker blue envelopes.

<do I even have a clue as to where this is going to post? no -- is there a way to see what I am replying to?>

You posted in the "No help needed - right now" Topic of the "SpamCop Help" Forum of the "SpamCop Discussions" Category.

well good - I need help :-) How does one see a list of all the posts in a topic and which ones I have read and not read? i.e. I am looking for a tree structure with the ones I haven't read in bold (or red or italics or blinkies or something) ...

Ellen

Best quick answer I can offer .. I hope you've got a color screen <g> ... Just look for the BOLD items to see the unread spots. You just then have to drill down to find the actual "location" of the new posts. Doing it this way, also then means that you'll enter the "Topic" and then have to scroll down to find the newest posts.

On the other hand, up at the top of the screen, you'll see a link to New Posts .. I believe that's supposed to walk you through all through the "new" stuff .. then there's the question on "subscribing" to the different Forums, which will probably impact that walking tour ..??

If it's any help, I'm recalling the good old days of trying to decide which BBS software was the "best" ... Most functions the same, some with different "features" but the methodolgy behind setting them up and maintaining them were always a new threshold of pain <g>

Ellen wrote:

Yea, it is a lot different than NNTP and OE ... I heavily make use of the watch feature in OE and marking messages in the SpamCop groups. Not sure how that kind of thing works in here ... additionally ...

I'm going to guess that at some point, the number of posts to a topic is going to cause an overflow - and then we'll have multiple pages of posts.

:ph34r: (but I don't know what ph34r means)

If you click on ADD REPLY to a topic, it will just take what you type in a window and put it on the bottom of the thread.

If you click on the Quote for a specific post in a thread - it will take that post, quote it (ugly boxes right now) and then take whatever you enter - correctly bottom posting your comments ... and adding it to the end of the topic.

Looks like there's no threading involved: its just a topic and a zero or more serial replies under that topic. I guess for the groups that may/will come here ... that seems to be OK IMO.

Ellen

Ellen,

It's hierarchial, but you can't see the entire hierarchy on your screen at once, just like you can't see messages from various newsgroups all on your screen at once.

On the homepage, you'll see that right now there are three categories: Test, Announcements, and SpamCop Discussion. And, you can see all the forums in each category there.

On the left of every forum is a round icon. If it's bold or dark, there are new posts since the last time you logged in. You can click the forum name to enter the forum. (Incidentally, clicking the round icon is a "mark all as read" which is admittedly not obvious).

Ok, once you've entered a forum, you'll obviously see the topics. These are organized by date of the last post. Again, on the left of each topic there is an icon, an envelope in this case. If it's dark, there are new posts in that topic. Because of the sorting, you'll find that in general topics you haven't read yet are all at the top. Older topics that you've marked as read should be at the bottom.

You can click the topic to start at the beginning. Or, there's a small icon you can click on which takes you to the first unread post in that topic. (I can't see the icon now while I'm writing a reply).

If you're like me, you'll want to go through the forum, read the interesting stuff, then click the link at the top to mark all topics read. That way, when you come back, you see just the new stuff. That's the same way I read the NG's.

I realize it's a lot of looking for this icon or that, but it's not that much different than the NG's and after a couple of days you'll be a pro.

I'm working on making replying nicer or easier. Also, I know that this company is alpha testing the next version of the board software and, from the limited stuff I've seen, it's even nicer. That software has a real, threaded view, for instance, which seemed really important to some people. And, they've made quoting better for replies.

JT

As to the "where am I", you hit the front page, went to the SpamCop Help Forum, then selected the Topic of No Help Needed .... At that point any reading / posting is done in that somewhat equivalent to a newsgroup thread. If you need to, scroll back up to the top of the screen and the "trail" to where you are listed.

well good - I need help :-) How does one see a list of all the posts in a topic

Click on the name of a Topic to see that Topic with all of the Posts below.

In a larger sense, click on the name of a Forum to see all of the Topics in that Forum.

and which ones I have read and not read?

Read Topics show with light blue envelopes, whereas unread Topics show with darker blue envelopes.

You posted in the "No help needed - right now" Topic of the "SpamCop Help" Forum of the "SpamCop Discussions" Category.

Ok I have green envelopes and blue envelopes but that's just for a topic not for the posts to that topic assuming that a topic == thread .... so the only thing I know when I look at a topic/thread is that at some point I read some post in that topic but there is no way to see what posts I have read and not read.

So replies do not thread to a specific post in a topic -- they show up in posting order?

Let me say that perhaps Opera 6.0x rendering leaves something to be desired here.

Is there a way to have all the posts that I make email themselves to me at the same time that they post? I do not want to receive email for all the posts in a topic -- only for things I post ...

I guess I will find out whether this posts above or below the previous post ... how do you interleave a response with a post you are answering.

TIA

E

Ok I have green envelopes and blue envelopes but that's just for a topic not for the posts to that topic assuming that a topic == thread .... so the only thing I know when I look at a topic/thread is that at some point I read some post in that topic but there is no way to see what posts I have read and not read.

Right. Posts are always inserted strictly in order. On the topic list, you'll see a little carat symbol next to the topic name. If you click on that, it takes you straight to the first unread post in that topic. Everything after that is unread. There's no other indication.

Is there a way to have all the posts that I make email themselves to me at the same time that they post? I do not want to receive email for all the posts in a topic -- only for things I post ...

When you post, you can enable email notification of replies. I'm not sure if that's what you want. I don't think there's any way to get the full text of posts emailed to you.

I guess I will find out whether this posts above or below the previous post ... how do you interleave a response with a post you are answering.

Right now, that's a hassle. It's possible, as I'm doing, but you have to move the stuff from the bottom window to the top. I'm working on making that better. I know it's possible, but it might be a few days before that's done.

JT

Right now, that's a hassle. It's possible, as I'm doing, but you have to move the stuff from the bottom window to the top. I'm working on making that better. I know it's possible, but it might be a few days before that's done.

It's easier when you edit afterwards, when all the text is in one window.

Archived