Email address spoofing not reported.

flagginator

99% of the spam emails I get have spoofed email return addresses. I feel those ISP's would want to know they are being spoofed. There are laws against spoofing now and the only way the spoofed ISP's can prosecute is to have some evidence.

I am suggesting that it is now the time for Spamcop to start reporting SPOOFS to the respective spoofed ISP's. The reports could be titled "SPOOF REPORT" instead of "spam Report".

Most of the spoofs I get are from Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, and Earthlink (or Mindspring).

How are they going to prosecute this stuff if we're not reporting it to them?

Thanks! :)

I'd say that you've got some major work ahead of you. Considering that most of those places don't have an abuse staff that's up to snuff, you're going to have to convince these ISPs to come up with another reporting address (and staff) to handle this type of complaint. You send this stuff to an "abuse" address and you'll be going round and round as "it didn't come from here" .... and that's just one facet of the issue you raise, time, monsy, staff, and technical details add to this project.

In addition to what has been said I can't see what sanction or action the ISPs concerned would have.

I guess they could sue the originator but then they would have to be able to demonstrate that they had suffered a loss as a result of the particular spam or that they had suffered some loss of intellectual property. So add to all the above the cost of lawyers in a law suit that would be far from certain to be won.

I don't see the idea running but I may be wrong :unsure:

Andrew

Archived