hanaro.com

nursemike

This morning I received 22 spam messages. Twenty of them listed hanaro.com as the ISP mentioned in the spam. I wonded if it would be workable for all of the other ISPs of the world to block EVERYTHING coming from hanaro.com? I know, it is just a dream and wishfull thinking, but I think that it might make those in charge at hanaro.com finally do something about their spam problem.

This morning I received 22 spam messages. Twenty of them listed hanaro.com as the ISP
I hope you mean receive in your held mail box.

If you mean in your Inbox then you need to add "hanara.com" to your personal blacklist.

I think I have made another possible bad assumption (That everybody uses SpamCop email service) Sorry about the assumption. I have been using it to filter my mail now for about 6 months and the result is that my Inbox spam is now down to about 1 a day (Note: I do some additional filtering on my local client which I also send for full reporting, but even that totals less than a dozen a day.)

I get my fair share of hanaro.com spams too. I use Pine for email so I need my ISP to tag them as spam, but they won't. It's not a full service ISP. Many of my other spams end in .kr

Hanaro.com is Korean.

There is some good stuff happening in Korea. We cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Lots of spam from .it, .mx, .br, etc.

If we chuck whole countries we should start with the good old USA: I get a fair amount of spam from:

xo.com, pacbell.net, comcast.net, sbcglobal.net, att.net, sprint.net, etc.

The majority of my USA spam comes through xo.com :angry:

I get my fair share of hanaro.com spams too. I use Pine for email so I need my ISP to tag them as spam, but they won't. It's not a full service ISP. Many of my other spams end in .kr

Hanaro.com is Korean.

There is some good stuff happening in Korea. We cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Lots of spam from .it, .mx, .br, etc.

If we chuck whole countries we should start with the good old USA: I get a fair amount of spam from:

The majority of my USA spam comes through xo.com  :angry:

15649[/snapback]

I think that a 24 hour freeze might wake somebody up! :)

Well, we have been down this path before, but it also depends on where valid messages are expected to come from.

For instance, my personal email I would only get valid messages fro the good ole US of A, so blocking them would be out of the question. I should not get any valid messages from outside of the country, so any other country could be blocked (and many of them are via spamcop email config).

At work however, we have employees and partners all over Asia so blocking anything there is out of the question. We also need people to be able to contact us from all over the world for technical support, so blocking anyhting because of the country it comes from is out of the question. We do use Postini which does scan content for questionable messages and holds them, notifying the recipient there are messages held. Then it is up to the employee to see if it is valid or delete it.

Well, we have been down this path before, but it also depends on where valid messages are expected to come from.

For instance, my personal email I would only get valid messages fro the good ole US of A, so blocking them would be out of the question.  I should not get any valid messages from outside of the country, so any other country could be blocked (and many of them are via spamcop email config).

It's painfully clear that the following are either black hat operations, or have weak security:

hanafos.com

hanaro.com

hananet.net

- all three host sites that are referenced in the spamming, like this well known one: http://www.cutpricerxpills.com/_85924943b9db73a...

kornet.net

thrunet.com

fjdcb.fz.fj.cn

hljtele.com

webair.com

-these all reference sites in spam as well.

So I'm seeing more of the same websites referenced, coming from different email addresses. Why is it that there can be no pressure put on the nations that are home to these companies? The Hana sites are the worst offenders and even though it's people in the states sending the spam, it's those companies that are hosting the websites... it's 50% fault of the people who get hacked/jacked and it's 50% the companies that facilitate the mail. Isn't Korea a capitalist market? Can't anything be done in the business realm, since legal isn't working? I refuse to think that if corporations runthe planet as they do, these same corporations can't do something to pressure such companies to straighten up or fly right.

Can't anything be done in the business realm, since legal isn't working?
It basicly comes down to the power of the almight dollar (yen, mark, euro, pound, etc).

The companies that sell product to the spam supported web sites could simply refuse to sell any more product until thay stopped their spamming activities. But they will generally side on improving their own profits over fighting spam.

The people who buy from the spam supported web sites could simply stop buying from them. This is the most effect way, but how do you educate people effectively to change their behavior, or for that matter simply to protect them from the sites that their sole purpose on earth is to steal from the stupid and uninformed who fall for their false claims?

• 3 weeks later...

I get a FANTASTIC amount of spam with websites referenced which are hosted on hanaro.com - 90%ish..

Each time spamcop fires off a report to abuse[at] but they obviously dont care.

As not-recommended.. I have even followed the removal instructions on the unwanted messages - which confirmed removal and then obviously did nothing at all.. I still get the advertising email.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

As not-recommended.. I have even followed the removal instructions on the unwanted messages - which confirmed removal and then obviously did nothing at all.. I still get the advertising email.

Now isn't that typical, in fact there are a lot of warnings against doing just that. It just confirms to the spammers that you are a real recipient, as long as they vomit their spew on someone real, they don't care how often.

Archived