Is SpamCop Working?

jknacnud

I have been reporting spam for a while now and I am just wondering if anyone know if what we are doing here is even helping? Are spammers being caught and stopped because of SpamCop? Is anyone getting less spam because of SpamCop? Are my money and time returning some value to the anti-spam community?

Thanks,

Jonathan Duncan

Is anyone getting less spam because of SpamCop?

Everyone who uses the spamcop dnsbl is getting less spam because of your reporting. I use the dnsbl through my use of the spamcop email system. Others simply have their server check the list.

I guess ultimately, we all would like to see spam go away, but until people stop responding to the ads, it will be with us.

Hi, Jonathan!

I have been reporting spam for a while now and I am just wondering if anyone know if what we are doing here is even helping?  Are spammers being caught and stopped because of SpamCop?  Is anyone getting less spam because of SpamCop?  Are my money and time returning some value to the anti-spam community?

Thanks,

Jonathan Duncan

15725[/snapback]

...There is anecdotal evidence (from other postings in the Help forum) that our reporting is identifying compromised systems through which spam is being sent (unbeknownst to the admins). IMHO, even if we were not also feeding a blocklist (and even for those of us who do not benefit directly from the blocklist because our e-mail provider does not use it), this would be justification enough for claiming that our reporting spam does some good.

This is good feedback. Thank you. I just need a little reassurance and justification for the time and effort involved. Any forward movement on the anti-spam/mer front is a good thing. Thank you again for reinforcing my motivations.

I forget sometimes that I am in fact using the spamcopbl, and I realize that I am not getting nearly as much as I probably would be without it.

Jonathan Duncan

I have been reporting spam for a while now and I am just wondering if anyone know if what we are doing here is even helping?

Yes, absolutely, though how much obviously varies. One proof is the lawsuit filed against SpamCop.

Many SpamCop users are discouraged because the amount of spam they get increases in stead of decreasing or even stopping, but that is the natural way of spammers: once one of them has your address, more and more will get it. However, I am certain that SpamCop does slow the rate at which spam increases and helps to inconvenience spammers.

As I like (probably too much) to say, we fight spam for the same reason we fight crime: not because we really believe that we'll ever completely eliminate it, but because we don't want to live in a world where either goes unopposed.

As I like (probably too much) to say, we fight spam for the same reason we fight crime: not because we really believe that we'll ever completely eliminate it, but because we don't want to live in a world where either goes unopposed.
Well put.

Ok, this makes me feel better. Makes me feel better, that something is actually happening. Looks legit. Jonathan

Return-Path: <info[at]check-isp.com>

Received: from p4leap.hosttrade.net (p4leap.hosttrade.net [65.75.132.110])

by myhost.com (8.12.11/8.12.6) with ESMTP id i81DJGC6097994

for <questions[at]myhost.com>; Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:19:16 -0600 (MDT)

(envelope-from info[at]check-isp.com)

Received: from [206.161.125.142] (helo=localhost)

by p4leap.hosttrade.net with asmtp (Exim 4.34)

id 1C2V1B-0006Cf-Rf

for questions[at]myhost.com; Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:19:18 +0000

X-AntiVirus: Checked by Dr.Web [version: 4.32a, engine: 4.32a, virus records: 53441, updated: 1.09.2004]

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:19:01 +0300

Reply-To: info[at]check-isp.com

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

Message-ID: <7814568418.20040901161901[at]check-isp.com>

To: questions[at]myhost.com

Subject: abuse

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - p4leap.hosttrade.net

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - myhost.com

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [0 0] / [47 12]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - check-isp.com

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

X-ClamAV: clean

X-spam-Status: No, hits=3.9 required=5.0

tests=NO_REAL_NAME,PRIORITY_NO_NAME,SPAM_PHRASE_05_08

version=2.43

Dear JKD Web Magic

I had got your abuse e-mail. I have stopped e-mail sending immediately.

Please accept our apologies for e-mail advertisement we have sent to

you. I promise you not to disturb you and not to giving it to other

persons.

Best regards,

John Falzar

You may want to go back and edit your e-mail address a bit to make it a bit more work to scrape it from the page .... I have no idea what you said in your complaint, but that this loser added in the phrase "not to giving it to others" leaves me wondering ... that's pretty close to the "this is not spam" line in a spam <g>

You may want to go back and edit your e-mail address a bit to make it a bit more work to scrape it from the page .... I have no idea what you said in your complaint, but that this loser added in the phrase "not to giving it to others" leaves me wondering ... that's pretty close to the "this is not spam" line in a spam <g>

16131[/snapback]

There are people like Sony Promotions who I've unsubbed from their list 5 times, then reported numerous times, but STILL send spam. There was another person that added me to a mailing list without asking, the was suprised that I reported them for spam.

Some hosts/senders care, some don't.

Archived