What does "Tagging" means ?

gdallair

When you go in the "spamcop tools options" (In spamcop mail) and you then select the "email filtering blacklists" and you check the "Tag only" checkbox, I taught that the e-mail subject for spam would have something prepended to it, like "++spam++ This is the message subject" so that the user could easily detect false positives in it's inbox (or use it's e-mail client filtering options to sort the messages once they're POPed out of spamcop)

But it looks like the tag is actually something that is put in the message header. Most e-mail clients I know of (at least on windows) do not have filters that operate on the contents of the headers themselves.

It would be nice to have an option to modify the subject of messages tagged as spam.

Thanks !

But it looks like the tag is actually something that is put in the message header. Most e-mail clients I know of (at least on windows) do not have filters that operate on the contents of the headers themselves.

Well, I know that Pegasus does, because I use it. In the filter setup, you can use regular expressions on any part of the message headers or body.

As for Outlook Express, here's a page I found with instructions that should be helpful:

http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/email/SpamAssassin...xpress/oec.html

There's an old SC Email Forum discussion on this issue here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/lofiversio...x.php/t675.html

but it looks like that discussion was never successfully completed. I just ran a test, temporarily changing my status to "Tag only" and confirmed that the headers on the spam didn't look any different than any on messages that pass through SpamCop when I'm not using that setting.

All messages that would normally be put into Held Mail due to blocklist or SpamAssassin settings have one extra header line:

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked (and then the reason for the blocking)

You could tell your email client to look for that header, but you would also want to have another filter rule that takes precedence over that one to catch any message containing this header:

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted:

and immediately place that message in your inbox, despite the presence of the "Blocked" header. I know that I can do this in Pegasus, but I didn't do enough research to see how this would be done in Outlook Express (which I don't let any of my friends use for their email...I have most of them using Netscape Mail, and some using Pegasus).

DT

Archived