Am i reporting my own ISP?

Bedoret

when i forward my e-mail from my ISP to SpamCop, and have SpamCop filter that mail, if spam starts showing up in my Held folder and i report it, is there risk of reporting my own ISP?

the reason i ask is that i see my ISP and my ISP e-address in the message source of the spam i want to report

i have the option to set my spam filters to different levels in my ISP's account

if i don't set them, then spam getting into that account can be filtered when forwarded to SpamCop (and hence punish those that propagate spam)

but if i risk reporting my own ISP, then i might as well set my filters to their best protection against spam in that ISP account

note: i access my e-mails with SpamCop webmail

You say you forward from your ISP account, so why would you expect not to see your ISP in the headers? The SpamCop parser is just a tool, so there's always a risk that something can go wrong ... if you'd gone through the FAQ you'd have noticed an entry or two devoted to just this situation. As to how much of a risk you might be running, no way to tell from here. No sample to take a look at, you don't state how you handle / submit your spam (note all the caveats to Quick-Reporting) ... Lack of details leads to lack of answers, sorry.

You say you forward from your ISP account, so why would you expect not to see your ISP in the headers? 

19262[/snapback]

I did expect to see my ISP in the headers and this is exactly why i am concerned when i report

if you'd gone through the FAQ you'd have noticed an entry or two devoted to just this situation.

19262[/snapback]

that's one big FAQ to find an entry or two...

when i looked at the titles within the reporting section, i saw nothing referring to the forwarding from an ISP to SpamCop

if u have the url for exactly where it is, i will gladly read it

No sample to take a look at

19262[/snapback]

i cut and pasted instead of posting the url as i would rather not reveal my ISP e-address on ANY forum due to harvestors...

<Wazoo snipped out the pretty useless modified/snipped/incomplete sample ..... not needed now as user is allegedly going to provide a Tracking URL in the future)

"pretty useless"...."allegedly" <--- lol[at] more smug comments

WHO ALLEDGED TO POST THE TRACKING URL HERE? NOT I

I WILL E-MAIL IT TO ELLEN AS SHE REQUESTED

WHEN PEOPLE POST URL'S HERE, IT IS USUALLY ABOUT spam NOT ORIGINATING FROM A PATH WHICH MIGHT INCLUDE THEIR OWN ISP (WHAT THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT CIRCUMVENTING)

BUT U DON'T CARE THAT I DONT WANT MY ISP E-ADDRESS HARVESTED HERE

HOWEVER, ELLEN DOES SEE MY CONCERN

STAY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT WAZOO !!!!!!!!

I AM A PAYING SPAMCOP MEMBER

DO NOT EDIT ANY OF MY POSTS

DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY POST I MAKE EVER AGAIN...

GOT IT?

you don't state how you handle / submit your spam

19262[/snapback]

in Spamcop webmail, i open my Held folder, open the spam and click "Report as spam" at the top

OK if you have any concerns about whether a spam is parsing correctly or not then parse a couple of spams, copy/paste the tracking url back to me from the top of the parse page and cancel the reports. Send them to the address in my sig with a note about your concerns and your registered SC email address and I will look at them.

Sorry .... guess it's good that Ellen stopped by. I'm not going to spend time looking at something that has been so chopped up and modified. The use of a Tracking URL is the normal mode in here (and over in the newsgroups) which allows viewing of the actual parsing engine output. Not knowing what you left out and possibly modifed beyond the bolding of some entries just doesn't make me want to spend my time trying to make guesses. The question you posed needs the actual parse output analyzed, not something that is based on what you "think we need to know" .....

That you can't translate your "don't want to report myself / ISP" into "sending a report to my Network Administrator" isn't really my fault. If you don't like "this" version of the FAQ, you could try the original at www.spamcop.net .... which as it turns out, is where this pointer leads to ...

Ellen:

i will do as u have suggested

Wazoo:

i don't want u to spend any of YOUR time on me ever again

i have read your responses to many other posters and i find your tone patriarchal and condescending

why must u be like this to fellow paying Spamcop members?

are we not all on the same side?

there is a way to get people to the answers/solutions that they need without you trying to humiliate them in the process

and no, not everyone has the time to read YOUR lengthy faq

Whatever .... I snipped your sample thus also removing the other addresses involved that you didn't want to make public. Use of a Tracking URL would have exposed none of them "here" .. glad you caught the hint. As I stated, the FAQ here is just a single-page view of the FAQ found at the www.spamcop.net site (though much expanded by content found here) .. the specific item you wanted to see is "over there" anyway ....

Ellen is a paid staffer of SpamCop ... dang near everyone else here is volunteering their time. One would assume that all these other folks have busy lives also. Translating your "lack of time" into "humilation" is a bit rough to do. The Frequently Asked Questions list exists because of the Frequntly Asked Questions that keep getting asked. Use of a FAQ is supposed to help save "everybody" time because the answer has already been provided.

Wazoo:

as much as i would love a little flame war here, i will refrain

or maybe i just wasn't being clear when i said

do not waste any more of your volunteered time on me

your annoying tone trumps any helpful advice u might provide

i repeat yet again

That kind of attitude would not be approved by Dale Carnegie.

All of the regulars here appreciate the amount of time Wazoo puts in and the considerable knowledge that he has.

I do hope that you never have another question because not many people reading your post will want to try to help you.

Miss Betsy

And I pity Ellen having to deal with your attitude. I don't think she gets paid enough.

i see my ISP and my ISP e-address in the message source of the spam i want to report

19261[/snapback]

In a one-word answer to the Topic Title: maybe. Where does SpamCop's parser want to send the reports?

Please try to lose the attitude - it's just getting in the way. Thanks!

Archived