All mail being held!? DNS issue?

I have my email address forward to my spamcop account. I noticed last night that suddenly I wasn't receiving any new email. Now I'm noticing that every email sent, including the forum activation letter from spamcop, ends up in the held mail. I've included the message source below for reference. HELP! :)

Jay

Message Source:

Return-Path: <news[at]spamcop.net>

Delivered-To: spamcop-net-jayrcole[at]spamcop.net

Received: (qmail 27854 invoked from network); 9 Nov 2004 15:15:42 -0000

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.103)

by blade4.cesmail.net with QMQP; 9 Nov 2004 15:15:42 -0000

Received: from server74.com (HELO sega.server74.com) (67.18.52.196)

by mailgate2.cesmail.net with SMTP; 9 Nov 2004 15:15:42 -0000

Received: from [216.154.195.49] (helo=c60.cesmail.net)

by sega.server74.com with esmtps (TLSv1:RC4-SHA:128)

(Exim 4.43)

id 1CRXih-0004Tg-3g

for jayrcole[at]personalcomputergeek.com; Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:15:43 -0600

Received: from unknown (HELO blade1.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.211)

by c60.cesmail.net with SMTP; 09 Nov 2004 10:15:41 -0500

Message-Id: <3jqpuu$3somrv[at]c60.cesmail.net>

Received: (qmail 32173 invoked from network); 9 Nov 2004 15:15:40 -0000

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.103)

by blade1.cesmail.net with QMQP; 9 Nov 2004 15:15:40 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO mx.spamcop.net) (216.154.195.60)

by mailgate2.cesmail.net with SMTP; 9 Nov 2004 15:15:40 -0000

To: jayrcole[at]personalcomputergeek.com

Subject: Registration at SpamCop Discussion

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - sega.server74.com

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - personalcomputergeek.com

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [0 0] / [47 12]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - spamcop.net

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.0 (2004-09-13) on blade4

X-spam-Level:

X-spam-Status: hits=-1.2 tests=AWL,MISSING_DATE,MSGID_FROM_MTA_HEADER

version=3.0.0

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.103 67.18.52.196

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked bl.spamcop.net

jayrcole,

This email has been sent from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php.

You have received this email because this email address

was used during registration for our forums.

If you did not register at our forums, please disregard this

email. You do not need to unsubscribe or take any further action.

<SNIP>

In this case, the e-mail went to Held based on these two lines;

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.103 67.18.52.196

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked bl.spamcop.net

67.18.52.196 listed in bl.spamcop.net

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam about 30 times in the past week

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 3.7 .. 120%

Last 30 days .. 3.6 ... 75%

Average ........ 3.4

The issues of last night are pretty much documented in several other Topics in this Forum. Look for the explanation posted by JeffT if nothing else.

Ok, that's my webhost (shared). I wasn't able to quickly find an applicable post. Is there a way/How do I allow that IP to work for me? I've double reentered my mailhosts entries on spamcop and that didn't seem to help. (Unless I'm the one who was inadvertantly reporting the IP I suppose.) Can you point me a little more in the right direction? I'm try not to be lazy but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Thanks for your assistance!

Jay

Ok, that's my webhost (shared)....Unless I'm the one who was inadvertantly reporting the IP I suppose...

You need to review your own reporting history very carefully and see what hosts were being reported as the source of the spam. It's entirely possible that the blacklisting is due to your own reporting. We're all supposed to carefully check on the results of our reporting...for example, if you're using "quick reporting," you should have been receiving "SpamCop Quick reporting data" emails that would contain important information. You can also inspect individual reports using the Tracking URLs contained in those reports.

DT

But in theory if my mailhosts are configured properly, when I'm reporting, it shouldn't report my host right? I'll carefully go through them later ... but I don't ever seem to recall seeing reports going to my ISP, even in my cursory glance just now.

(I looked a little further and they are[/] being recognized from my mailhosts list.) Thanks for your input!

Jay

But in theory if my mailhosts are configured properly, when I'm reporting, it shouldn't report my host right?

In theory, yes, but things can break, so you should never report without checking, and I'd suggest that you not report any more until you've got this resolved. You might need to work with Ellen on this...her address is available in the pinned items in the Mailhosts forum.

DT

Perhaps better stated as "shouldn't report my host in error" .... but it's not a perfect world. The SpamCop parser is just a tool, and any tool can be used wrong, break at the worst moment, etc. The oversight of the analysis results is mandatory.

Upon further investigation, it appears that my mailhosts information either disappeared or changed or whatever (who knows what), I assume sometime yesterday evening when this all started. After reentering my mailhosts information this afternoon and reparsing the old reports, the "if reported today" section doesn't include my IP information, so it would appear, I brought this debackle upon myself!

It appears that I reported 36 instances of spaming myself since Nov 8 at 9:44 pm. Which correlates with the ~30 instances of spam from the IP in the past week.

Is this something that should clear itself up if it was indeed may fault and I've fixed things?

Jay

Upon further investigation, it appears that my mailhosts information either disappeared or changed or whatever (who knows what), I assume sometime yesterday evening when this all started.  After reentering my mailhosts information this afternoon and reparsing the old reports, the "if reported today" section doesn't include my IP information, so it would appear, I brought this debackle upon myself! 

It appears that I reported 36 instances of spaming myself since Nov 8 at 9:44 pm.  Which correlates with the ~30 instances of spam from the IP in the past week.

19902[/snapback]

...Thanks for taking the time to return here to let us know! :) <g>

Is this something that should clear itself up if it was indeed may fault and I've fixed things?

Jay

19902[/snapback]

...You may want to have a look at Pinned: FAQ Entry: How can I unsend a report?.

Archived