Mail forwarding services

StevenUnderwood

Well, after being without email for 2+ days through netforward with no explaination, I have decided to start looking at alternatives. I don't do this lightly as I have used this address since 1996.

I currently pay $10/year and get a main account and 4 aliases all pointing to the same address I define. There is also web redirection, but that is not a high priority.

I am thinking about going directly with the spamcop.net address (with custom address for each alias) since I am paying for that anyway. Any other options for relatively low cost alias addresses with a company with some sort of background? I don't want to be doing this again.

You might want to consider using plussed addressing and/or SpamMotel (which has random-looking addresses). SpamMotel is slightly more user-friendly than Sneakemail, and also offers random-looking addresses. Bigfoot is limited and doesn't appear to offer aliases at any price, so you'd have to maintain 5 accounts (fortunately, they don't expire). A number of the other free ones that I've used in the past (MailandNews.com, MyRealBox.com, and MochaMail.com) have been having reliability issues and have stopped offering new accounts. FastMail has been performing well for me recently via IMAP, but they want $14.95 for lifetime forwarding and $39.95/yr for more than 3 aliases (I haven't tried asking SpamCop to fetch that mail via IMAP because that address hasn't been spammed yet, as it's only been used with one provider but receives regular status emails from that provider). Yahoo! UK has free forwarding (or SpamCop can POP from it), but you'd have to maintain 5 accounts.

Thanks Jeff....The plussed addressing is what I was referring to in my original and probably how I will proceed. Now for the not so fun process of updating 8 years worth of contacts with a new address.

Hey, I'll just send an email to everyone in my address book (JOKING) ;)

• 11 months later...
A number of the other free ones that I've used in the past (MailandNews.com ...) have been having reliability issues

20798[/snapback]

The following info just showed up in my mailbox:
The POP3 and SMTP services are very sluggish right now because of the amount of spam the mailandnews.com domain receives.  We are currently running the POP3 and SMTP service for mailandnews.com on a separate dedicated server.  Webmail is on a separate box, and so is this forum.  We have thrown a considerable amount of hardware at mailandnews.com, but the level of spam is simply overwhelming.  And since we make no money at all from mailandnews.com, we cannot justify throwing even more hardware at it.  We are open to suggestions.

Archived