Cannot report message

gary

Used search but zero results.

When I attempted to report a spamer a pop-up message was displayed

"Cannot report message..........The sender of this message is an internal user"

Internal where? the spam message was certainly not originated from my computer which is not networked.

:( Gary

Internal where? the spam message was certainly not originated from my computer which is not networked.

Sorry, but I can't even begin to guess at where you're coming from. How about spelling out what system you're running, software apps involved, what network is involved, etc.? Is this some web-based app somewhere?

It is, however, networked with your ISP.

Perhaps the message indicates that the spam originated at your ISP and it is protecting you from reporting your ISP (as many ISPs don't have a sense of humor when users get their own ISP added to the blocklist). Without more information it's difficult to say. Posting the headers or the tracking URL might give enough information for someone to give you a more complete answer.

Spambo, that guess is as good as any as my ISP does show up as one of the recipents of any reports I've been able to send. Some reports clear and those that don't give me that message.

Wazoo, I used the search facility to see if anyone else had the same problem before. As I stated my computer is not on a network and by that I thought it would indicate not a local network and of course it is on the cable ISP network so Spambo's guess is probably the answer. Since I've only been aware of SpamCop for a few days which I accessed through spam Inspector ver 4.0 I do not know the relationship between the two. I have a "Report" button which appears on my IncrediMail mail program placed there by spam Inspector and I assumed it was linked via that to SpamCop. What other information would you expect me to provide which might assist you in helping me answer my question?

Gary <_<

Any analysis for troubleshooting can only be done by seeing the contents of the spam/message header. I don't use any of the tools you've mentioned so I can only hazard some guesses.

OK, you're using Incredimail. Then you've got SpamInspector running on top of that. The "can't report - internal user" might be something like an AOL user e-mail another AOL user ... there is no header content to show the travels of the e-mail, as it was all handled between AOL machines. But, again, only a wild guess ...

What I don't know is where that error message came from - SpamInspector (more than likely) or Incredimail ... and the only way to take a stab at that from here is to see the headers of the e-mail in question.

Gary, if you want us to have a look at this, post some tracking urls or send your username to us at the deputies address. Best guess without more information is the only IP addresses in the headers you are submitting are all IANA reserved internal network IPs.

The "Cannot report message..." comes up before any information regarding the tracking URL's are shown so how do I determine those. One spam message only showed the word "berlin" ... no further info ... I do not profess to be a 'puter wizard so perhaps all this is for the "experts"to deal with. I'd just like to find a way to get rid of spam and whatever contribution I can make I will.

Gary

I get the feeling that the phrase "Cannot report message..." comes up before any information" actually means that you're still pumping the SpamInspector button. What you/we need is to see the actual spam in all it's glory. You say one only showed "berlin" .. this definitely means you're only looking at the "rendered" version of the spam, not the actual "real" text of the spam. Are you forced into using only Incredimail to get your e-mail?

I went to their website, but .. geeze ... 98% of it blocked out by my firewall and security rules ... and all the "great features" seem to fit right into my "don't send me that crap" bucket .... anyway, I'm not going to waste my time trying to sort out the problems with that application .. sorry ...

From the top, you need to somehow figure out how to actually see the "real" source text of the spam, copy it off, and pass it around. Preferably, you'd post it over in news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.spam .... but I suspect that's going to be yet another hurdle for you.

Have you taken RW up on his offer yet? Though trying to read into your posted issues ... are you actually using SpamCop on your own or are just using the function you said you found under SpamInspector?

Archived