Gmail: When Gmail Correctly Identifies spam, Should I Still Report It to Spamcop?

csouter

Hi all,

Yet another of those stupid questions which I'm in the habit of asking.

I don't get much spam these days, maybe three or four per week, (down from anything up to 400 - 500 per day a couple of years back)!

Nowadays, I use Gmail for most of my online communications, and I will occasionally receive an email that has managed to slip through Gmail's spam filters, and, of course, I will immediately report it to SpamCop as soon as I become aware of it.

However, more often than not, Gmail's filters will already have caught the spam and kindly placed it into the spam folder so that I can deal with it at my convenience.  Most of the time, Gmail is correct in its assessment, but if it does come up with a false positive, it's a simple matter to click "not spam" and return the message to the inbox where it belongs.

If a message has been correctly identified as spam, normally I will still report it to SpamCop, (having first redacted those lines that Gmail inserts into the headers, causing SpamCop to think that there's "nothing to do").  However, I do occasionally forget to make that report, and I'm just wondering whether it's really necessary to report spam that Gmail has already correctly identified.  Is it of any use to anyone if I report spam that Gmail has already identified correctly?

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards to all
Christopher (Chris) Souter
(Sydney, Australia)

• csouter changed the title to Gmail: When Gmail Correctly Identifies Spam, Should I Still Report It to Spamcop?
56 minutes ago, csouter said:

Is it of any use to anyone if I report spam that Gmail has already identified correctly?

I think so.  Gmail does not, to my knowledge, share their spammer list with anyone.  So who they identify as spammers does not help anyone except Gmail users.

By reporting SpamCop the spam you receive it help others no matter whether is was identified by Gmail or false negatives you identify.

Agreed, keep on reporting.

I'm not clued up on the behind the scenes processing Gmail does when you mark an email as spam, beyond training their filter, but have had one or two reports come my way from Yahoo users have done the equivalent on their webmail.

G'day Chris,

On 1/31/2019 at 8:38 PM, csouter said:

If a message has been correctly identified as spam, normally I will still report it to SpamCop, (having first redacted those lines that Gmail inserts into the headers, causing SpamCop to think that there's "nothing to do").

Redacting/removing those lines for gmail spam is not necessary anymore since the new SpamCop upgrade to version 5 :)

You can save/skip that step entirely.

Greetings to the other side of the world :) (it's cold up here ;) )

17 hours ago, RobiBue said:

Redacting/removing those lines for gmail spam is not necessary anymore since the new SpamCop upgrade to version 5 :)

I'd noticed that too, saving a bit of time when reporting.........

On 2/2/2019 at 3:38 PM, RobiBue said:

G'day Chris,

Greetings to the other side of the world :) (it's cold up here ;) )

Thanks for the heads-up! :D
I've just received my first new piece of Gmail spam since my OP, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Gmail header problem seems to have been fixed! :)
YAY! :D
BTW, RobiBlue, it might be freezing where you are, but we're getting barbecued "Down Under" ATM! :(

11 hours ago, csouter said:

BTW, RobiBlue, it might be freezing where you are, but we're getting barbecued "Down Under" ATM! :(

We copped a bit of the heat across the ditch for a few days, but the weather here seems to have cooled down a bit.

I had a similar thought about my spam filtering account at Fastmail and the answer was, yes report it.

I've found the easiest is to forward it to your special SC email address as an attachment and no header in the email.

Then just delete the item from  the sent and trash folders.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 6:04 PM, Ex_Brit said:

I had a similar thought about my spam filtering account at Fastmail and the answer was, yes report it.

I've found the easiest is to forward it to your special SC email address as an attachment and no header in the email.

Then just delete the item from  the sent and trash folders.

How do you do that? Forward it?

I use Thunderbird to check my email. Most of the time,  using its "Forward as attachment" for selected emails works well for me when reporting. Occasionally there's a glitch somewhere along the line, usually NOT with gmail, which gets me using the "View source" to provide data for the online submission form.

Archived