Why do I need to use a proxy? Is it my ISP?

chemman

As said, I have been trying to report lots of spam lately, but couldn't. I searched /. for any DDOS messages on spamcop, nothing. Allways my connection timed out, no matter which browser (Firefox, Opera, and yes, even /\/\eekrok4$h 33nternet expl0der). So, I figured the site is down. Waiting for a player to download and using a proxy (pure coincidence) I entered spamcop. It worked, ans as it seems, every time I use my normal IP I get a time out.

No server response, no anything. My ip is not listed in the blacklist, so I figure it isn't the reason. Also, I may try to netcat here and give you the connection log if you wish.

So, anyone knows why is it so? All the reports I have posted are ok, my username is active (in fact, I reported a message a minute ago) Maybe it's my ISP?

Any suggestions are wellcome.

I have no idea why you would have posted this into the Forum section set up for How-To-Use tutorials/tips/etc .... You admit to reporting something/somehow, so the Reporting Forum isn't the place. You're not complaining about your e-mail being blocked, so the BL Forum isn't the place. Not an issue with setting up MailHosts or a SpamCOp E-Mail account ... so, the Lounge is where I moved your query. (Advised user via PM of this move)

Though not speaking for Julian/IronPort, in general, there isn't a general block at the SpamCop parsing and reporting service .. on the other hand, very few folks make a direct connection, many dollars spent on the Akamai Service providing world-wide access points, also a tool against the DoS attacks seen in the past.

So, not knowing anything about your configuration, what your ISP has in place, what connection paths are being attempted .. not much to talk about here. A number of "connection" type issues already exist in other discussions, almost every one of them start with "us" asking for more data than was supplied in the original query. For example, what does a trace-route output show as far the connction from your system to where you are trying to connect to?

Also, what do you get when you try to ping www.spamcop.net? I get four replies from a369.g.akamai.net [216.175.138.201] AKA a216-175-138-201.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com at present.

In addition, can you browse to http://www.akamai.com/en/html/about/customers.html? I can, and it shows me a list of Akamai high-profile business customers who would be none too pleased if you couldn't contact them. I didn't send you to Akamai's home page because it's got Flash on it.

Archived